Question [SOLVED] "Clunk"noise at startup ?

noig

Distinguished
May 6, 2014
Hi All
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-A II
When I startup the PC it makes some clunk noises. I have here linked a recording.
Is anyone able to give a hint what this could be?

Thanks!

There are clunks and then there are clicks.

Clicks can be a harmless relay in the power supply.

Clunks implies something heavier and more noticeable, but I still can't listen to your audio file.....it might not be useful anyway.

Last edited:
Downloaded and listened.

8 seconds long.

Noise quite faint, but I think I hear 6 "clunks" in the 8 seconds.

My guess is fans firing up.

How many fans do you have?

Does the noise persist or is it only in these first few seconds after a start?

Disconnect 2 or 3 of them and see if you hear fewer clunks.

Hi All
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-A II
When I startup the PC it makes some clunk noises. I have here linked a recording.
Is anyone able to give a hint what this could be?

Thanks!
Are there any mechanical devices in the case besides fans? The first sound is somewhat like an optical drive if you have one of those old timey things (OK, I still do). But I've never heard of any fans making clicking sounds when they start up. I know Noctua fans make a little click when they shut down but not when starting. More info on the total contents of the case would help.

The first sound is somewhat like an optical drive if you have one of those old timey things (OK, I still do).

Yeah, I do too. That is a possibility.

I have heard my optical drive make a noise similar to that when the drive was called upon but had no disc in the drawer.

But I can't recall hearing the noise being repeated several times over 8 seconds.

It's tough to say because the noise is so faint.

Reactions: dwd999

noig

Distinguished
May 6, 2014
I have a recording with the PC opened up. Still you need to turn the replay on high.
If some of the noise is from the CD/DVD, is there a way how I could set it to manual start. Cause 99% of the time it isn't used.
Thanks

I can't hear that any better than your earlier recording.

But..............

It does sound like the DVD drive is being actuated and finding no disc in it.

I assume this happens at every boot, but generally not otherwise???

My guess is that you have the DVD drive entered into your boot device order in a position ABOVE the hard drive. So the PC first tries to boot from the DVD for a few seconds before moving on to the next device in the list.

You should find that list in the BIOS.

If you see the DVD above the hard drive in that list, move it down, save the changes to the BIOS and then reboot a few times to see if the noise goes away.

If that's no help, I dunno....other than possibly fans.

Reactions: ROOT#
thanks @Lafong
here you see the 2 fans going and below
the boot options, no cd/dvd
No noise once it has past the initial few cliks/clunks.

Put your ear actually in direct contact with the DVD drawer and reboot.

Does that help you identify whether or not that might be the noise source?

If not, keep rebooting with your ear elsewhere at various points......fans, graphic card, power supply, drives.

Possibly use a megaphone to amplify the noise from a suspected source.

Reactions: noig

noig

Distinguished
May 6, 2014
@Lafong
I have physically disconnected the CD/dvd drive cables. No clunks/clicks any longer. I might check with the manufacturers, as this was not an issue from the beginning.
Many thanks to you all!
This thread is solved for now