[SOLVED] [Solved] CMOS-Reset allows to enter Bios once but not OS

May 10, 2019
Hello together,

currently I am building a new PC using following components:

Mainboard: Asus B450M-A (new)
CPU: Ryzen 2700x (new)
Memory: Trident Z CL16 2x8Gb (new)
GPU: Gtx 680 (my old gpu, saving for a newer one)
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 750W (new)

Before I bought all the new components I checked if they are compatible.

My Problem:

After assembling all components I tried to start the computer. Everythings appears to be normal. One short peep from the speaker but the monitor stays blacks. I checked again the memory and found out I placed it in the wrong slots. So I placed it to the correct slots.
Restart, same problem. Monitor stays black. ( I installed the hdmi cable to the gpu, because the ryzen2700x has no intern graphics. )
I googled around and found out I had to remove the mainboard battery. So I did it, waited for 2 minutes and placed it in again.
Then I restarted the computer and finally I could enter the bios. Inside the bios all components seem to be recognized. Then after leaving the bios the computer restarted and the monitor was again black. At this point I do not know what I could do. Everytime performing a cmos reset allows me to enter the bios but on restart evertything stays black.

I hope someone has any idea.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok guys I found the problem!
The used bios version for the Asus Prime B450M-A was 0806. I updated to the latest Bios version and now everything works as aspected! The old one was maybe broken or not compatible with ryzen2700x! Hope this will help somebody in the future!
May 10, 2019
Thank you for your quick response. Yes I am using the old OS, I will give a new one a try and come back.
But still, after the CMOS-Reset the Asus logo appears once, but not after a restart. So I do not think the OS is the problem. Is there a way to check if the mainboard has a defect?

May 10, 2019
So today I tried to setup a new OS on my new build computer to check if this solves the problem.
But I could not even boot from any other device, so I could not setup a new OS. Same error, cmos reset allows to enter bios, I set UEFI to be used always first, the computer restarted an nothing happened.

So I started to check the hardware.
  1. CMOS reset.
  2. Placed in Cpu, Cooler, PSU -> Memory error beep
  3. Placed in Memory -> GPU error beep
  4. Placed in GPU -> Normal beep
  5. Setup Bios again, computer restarted -> No beep anymore / nothing showed on the monitor

So I removed everything again and started the same procedure again without a cmos reset!
  1. Placed in Cpu, Cooler, PSU -> Memory error beep
  2. Placed in Memory -> No more beep

I thought ok same memory might be defect, but still surprised because after the cmos reset there was the 'correct' (no gpu) beep?
So I tried both memories individual but still the same error. No beep.

The id of the memory is f4-3200C16D-16GTZRX. The X at the end says its optimized for ryzen.

So what do you guys think? Is the memory defect? (But could it happen that both are defect?) Or might this be caused because ofsome incompatibility? (But still, Asus says that the f4-3200C16D-16GTZR is supported. And so I think the f4-3200C16D-16GTZRX one too)

May 10, 2019
Ok guys I found the problem!
The used bios version for the Asus Prime B450M-A was 0806. I updated to the latest Bios version and now everything works as aspected! The old one was maybe broken or not compatible with ryzen2700x! Hope this will help somebody in the future!

Solution