Question [Solved] Computer constantly freezing

Jul 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

It's about a week that my computer is freezing after about two hours of use (sometimes much more, sometimes much less) and that problem doesn't only occur when I play videogames, it also happens in idle. For the first time yesterday, it crashed with a BSOD, error code : DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

I don't really know what's wrong with it ! Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem behind those freezings?

Thanks a lot in advance !

CONFIG:
Computer assembled by myself in 2014, few modifications have been operated ever since.
MoBo: ASUS M5A97 Le r2.0
CPU : Amd FX-8320 (That used to be OC to the frequency of an FX-8350) + CM Hyper 212 evo
GPU : Msi RX 470 4GB
RAM : 2x Corsair 1866Mhz 4GB + 2x Fury HyperX 1866mhz 4gb
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
PSU : Evga 600B 80+ Bronze

Repport WhoCrashed :

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Wed 17/07/2019 16:24:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\071719-28140-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B1B40)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x48000012, 0x2, 0x8, 0x48000012)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 17/07/2019 16:24:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: wdf01000.sys (Wdf01000+0x31A9)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x48000012, 0x2, 0x8, 0x48000012)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
product: Système d’exploitation Microsoft® Windows®
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Runtime de l’infrastructure de pilotes en mode noyau
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Can you upload the actual minidump file/s somewhere like Google Drive or Dropbox and post a link here so we can have a look.

Tools like WhoCrashed are not accurate and almost always point to Windows kernel which is rarely the real cause of the BSOD.

Jul 18, 2019
Thanks a lot for your answer !

The problem is that the MiniDump folder is now empty...I think it must clear itself after few times (or maybe a cleaning software does).

Do you think there's another way to get it back?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I don't think they should be deleted automatically, not sure. Maybe another tool/app deleted the files.

Maybe next time you have a BSOD you can post the dmp file. Double check if Windows is set to drop minidumps once BSODs happen.

For the time being are you overclocking anything? CPU or RAM? If yes revert to default and see if issues still happen.

Do you think that you installed anything or updated drivers and such last week and after that crashes started?

What are you CPU and GPU temps like? At idle and under load. Have you monitored? Although crashes happening at idle would make a thermal issue less likely.

Is the PSU 5 years old too? Not a good quality PSU in it's day and after a few years I think it's time to retire it. It had some meh reviews I think with non-Japanese caps, voltage overshoot on power on on both 5V and 12V rails.

If you can run the system with another PSU and see if issues still happen. Intermittent nature of crashes can mean a PSU issue.

Jul 18, 2019
Alright, I'll make sure to have dmp file next time ! But BSOD happened once, while freezings happened more like 30 times so it's a pretty rare event, I have to say.

Nothing is overclocked anymore, I cleared the CMOS to try with stock settings, and the problem remained.

I think the problem started to happen not long after Windows 10 updated itself. Like few hours after the update.

I tested the temperatures with HWMonitor and they seemed alright. Here's a picture I took right after the computer crashed :
1563478420-12f56571-4870-483d-9c6e-63d081046de9.jpg

The PSU is 5 years old too, yes. I thought it could be the reason too ! I'm gonna try to get another one to test if it stops crashing.

Thank you very much for your time and your answers once again.

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I ran the dump and the process named is Chrome. There's a driver, namely srvnet.sys, which was having a sort of conflict.

This could very well be because you're missing RAM. I'd run the system with either the Corsair pair or the Kingston and see if issues
persist.

I'd suggest you run memtest to check RAM modules for errors too. One module at a time and 8 passes each.

I also notice your BIOS is version 2006 from 2013. Checked with Asus website for the motherboard here and there are several updates after that the last one being version 2701 from 2016.

This could be resolved (provided it's not caused by faulty RAM or the fact that system is running different RAM) with a BIOS update as many of them have the description "Improve system stability ". Read instructions carefully on how to do it and do not interrupt the update process because an incomplete BIOS update might brick the motherboard.

Closely read if you need to update to some other version before going for the latest version as it is sometimes the case. For example if you want to update to version 7 and you have version 2, you need to update to one of the versions in between before updating to last one.

I suggest you try runing the system with same RAM (either 2x4GB Cordair or 2x4GB Kingston) and if issue persist with either pair go on to update BIOS.

Jul 18, 2019
I'm gonna try that. I had the Kingston RAM for few months and it only started crashing recently. But also I understand that there might be a conflict between the two sorts.

Thank you very much again, i'll let you know how this went !

Jul 18, 2019
Hello,

I tried to only use Corsair RAM, then only the HyperX Fury RAM, on different slots, and the computer kept crashing every time. I will try to update the BIOS.

Also, I always have a message saying "Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure" after the computer crashed. I don't know if that could be related to my freezing issues.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I think that Radeon Wattman is a notification after the system crashes and reboots. You might be able to turn it off so it won't shows every time this happens.

Also don't put RAM in random slots. Check your motherboard manual for the right slots when using 2 modules which are A2 and B2, which makes them work in dual channel mode. A2 if only you want to run one module (use this for memtest). The system can work with other slots most of the time but these slots is what Asus recommends.

Have any new dump files we can take a look at?

I would run memtest to check whether RAM sticks are faulty and have errors. Both sets, Corsair and Kingston. Run with one RAM stick at a time and for at least 8 passes.

BTW did you buy these 2 pairs as sets or packs? I mean were the Corsair sold as a pack and the Kingston too?

Jul 18, 2019
I didn't have new dump files, because the freeze occurs before anything can be generated in the dump folder. BSOD occurs very very rarely in comparison to the simple freezings.

The RAM were sold as pack. I first bought a pack with the two Corsair in the same box in 2014. And I bought another back with the two HyperX about two months ago.

I'm gonna try those memtests that you described and I'll let you know how this went. Thanks again for your help!

Jul 18, 2019
Hello,

Sorry for my late reply, I was in vacations. I updated the BIOS and it is still crashing. I also tested the memory, and it seems they're okay. So maybe I think it is the PSU that's failing.

Jul 18, 2019
I've finally found the answer to my problem ! I updated Windows to 1903 version, and it looks like the freezing are now almost unexisting. I think Windows was corrupted because of an update that failed. Thanks a lot to Satan-IR for your help ! I stay here to answer questions if other people are issuing the same problem !