Question [SOLVED] Connecting to a mobile hotspot making my internet not work after a Windows Update ?

Andrei_2

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
So, I was sharing my Ethernet connection via Wi-Fi with my phone (where I live I get very poor internet signal), and it was working as intended.

But yesterday there was a Windows Update. When I turn mobile hotspot on, nothing happens till I connect with my phone (Android), then almost nothing works on the internet. Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and other sites stops working. Somehow Google and YouTube still works (I think its because I tried using 8.8.8.8 as my DNS to see if it fixed?).

Any ideas of what might be the issue?

It was working perfectly for weeks. What info should I provide so you guys can better help me?

EDIT: Partially solved. Rolled back Windows Update, its working perfectly now. Will wait for an update which fix this issue.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022
Hi, unfortunately I don't have a solution but I have the same problem. I normally don't want to update anymore because things like this keep happening, but 2 days ago I turned off my laptop by mistake and it updated.

Now whenever I try to turn on my mobile hotspot to share my cable internet, it completely kills the connection. The devices connected to the hotspot can't navigate, AND my laptop can't either - not only that but it completely freezes Firefox for whatever connection conflict (while Brave doesn't freeze but still can't connect). They keep breaking this bloody hotspot, like some months ago when it would randomly switch off on its own even though you clearly turned off power saving in settings.

Reactions: Andrei_2
Jun 17, 2022
so the issue is with update KB5014699:
under known issues:
After installing this update, Windows devices might be unable use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature. When attempting to use the hotspot feature, the host device might lose the connection to the internet after a client device connects.

there workaround is to disable the hotspot.

you can uninstall this update if you need the hotspot working

Reactions: Andrei_2

Andrei_2

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
Hi, unfortunately I don't have a solution but I have the same problem. I normally don't want to update anymore because things like this keep happening, but 2 days ago I turned off my laptop by mistake and it updated.

Now whenever I try to turn on my mobile hotspot to share my cable internet, it completely kills the connection. The devices connected to the hotspot can't navigate, AND my laptop can't either - not only that but it completely freezes Firefox for whatever connection conflict (while Brave doesn't freeze but still can't connect). They keep breaking this bloody hotspot, like some months ago when it would randomly switch off on its own even though you clearly turned off power saving in settings.

It helps that you have the same problem, so I know that I personally didn't mess with some setting that I don't remember. As Bezo mentioned, it was a problem with Windows update. I unistalled the updates (kinda forgot I could literally uninstall each one individually, I only tried recovering an older restore point which didn't work).

so the issue is with update KB5014699:
under known issues:
After installing this update, Windows devices might be unable use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature. When attempting to use the hotspot feature, the host device might lose the connection to the internet after a client device connects.

there workaround is to disable the hotspot.

you can uninstall this update if you need the hotspot working

Uninstalled and its working perfectly now, thank you! But it wasn't KB5014699 in my case. Forgot which code was, though. But thank you a lot! :)