[Solved] CPU at 100% usage

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I have a strange problem in that my CPU usage is at a constant 100%, slowing the machine considerably.

I have run virus scans (Avast and Malwarebytes) and came up clean.

When I Ctrl+Alt+Del into task manager, CPU utilization goes down to normal. There are no processes utilizing CPU.

However, when I exit task manager, CPU usage goes back up to 100%. I am using a gadget called System Information to check.

I just spent the last few days doing a clean install of Windows and essential programs. It seemed to work for a day then suddenly the same problem occurred.

I have not made any changes to hardware and software except updates to programs. The system had been working fine for the last 2 years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Thanks for fast reply.

I just ran process explorer. There are no services that are utilizing CPU.

ALL processes are showing <0.xx %.

However, when I exit the program (as well as Task Manager), CPU usage shoots back up to 100%.

I thought this might be an incorrect reading, but HW Monitor shows CPU temps @ 50C idle (when I exit Process Explorer or Task Manager) and 30C idle (when I enable Process Explorer or Task Manager).

BluJayz

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Assuming this is your configuration.

i7 920 @ 4.0GHz | Asus Rampage III Extreme | G Skill 6Gb 16000 DDR3 | Sapphire 5970 quadfire | 6 Samsung Spinpoint F3 | 3 30" Crossover Eyefinity | Coolermaster Cosmos S | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

You have 6 HD’s?; How old are they? I've experienced this issue with bad hard drives and corrupt windows files. Try another HD for your OS, or get a SSD for the OS.

When you reinstall windows are you doing a full wipe like a DBAN?

Have you tried a 32bit windows? It’s only going to use 4g of RAM but its worth checking out and seeing the difference.

Also you can try to catch the process jumping around task manager and if you’re quick enough; kill it. Just watch and wait you will see a process jump up in % for seconds.

There’s a few places for you to start; good luck.

One last thought what PSU are you using? The 680w that comes with the Cosmo?

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have made a couple of screenshots to demonstrate. Sorry if images are too small or too big.

The first one shows CPU usage when Task Manager or Process Explore is running.

The second one shows CPU usage as soon as I exit either program.

@BluJayz - I have updated sig. All components are just over a year old. Scans on SSDs and HDDs show not bad sectors or errors.

BluJayz

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Kill system idle process.

Your cores being at 50' idle concerns me. Have you cleaned out your case recently? Hidden dust bunnies in the heat sinks?

Sent from my iPhone

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Everything looks OK. The System Idle Process is what Windows does when there is nothing else to run
- I understand what you're saying but I don't think you understand the issue.

The best way I can describe it is like a car idling at max RPM (100% CPU usage + high temps). When I take it to the mechanic (ie Task Manager or Process Explorer) the issues are not apparent (ie CPU usage drops to near 0% and temps drop to 30C). When I leave the auto shop, the revs max out again, instantly shooting up temps and slowing down the machine.

ATM, I've left Task Manager open to stabilize the system. This is the only way I can keep usage and temps stable.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I think I solved the problem.

I created a new account on Windows. After switching to the new account, the issues disappeared.

Don't know why though.....but will monitor situation.

Thanks for your help. Have a great weekend.