Question [Solved] Dead motherboard? (Yes it is)

Jul 25, 2021
So, some time ago my PC died while running (It froze with a still image, no reaction to reset button or holding the power button for 5 sec, I turned off the power, no reaction after that).
I removed my graphics card, then double checked all connections (RAM, power, etc), no signs of power when trying to start it.
No fans spin even for a second (including the PSU fan).
I replaced my PSU with a better one (the old one was from Aerocool and people on forums complained about low voltage).
Still no signs of power or fan movement at all. PSU is new, EPS and 24-pin connectors are in place, no peripherals, PCI-E slot empty.

Does it mean the motherboard is dead?

MSI H81M-E33
Intel Core i5-4690K
2 x 8Gb DDR3 RAM

Jul 25, 2021
What's the new PSU? I hope you didn't replace a garbage PSU with a new garbage one.

RAM sticks in? Do you have a motherboard speaker? Any beeps? I'd hook it up to the monitor as well.

The new PSU has good reviews, and its 80+ Bronze certified, and at least it seems to work with a hairpin (old one does too, though).
RAM sticks are full way in, tried different configurations. Motherboard has no speaker or even LED light, it's very basic because I don't need anything more.
No monitor signal through the motherboard VGA port, just like with the old PSU.
When PC was working I tried running it with or without graphics card, and integrated graphics worked great, graphics card too.
No reaction anywhere at all, tried connecting the power connector manually too

The new PSU has good reviews, and its 80+ Bronze certified, and at least it seems to work with a hairpin (old one does too, though).
Model name of the PSU ? You can find it printed on PSU label.

Find pc beeper, connect it to motherboard.
If pc with ram removed doesn't beep then the board is dead or you have a bad psu. CPU is still necessary, without cpu there will be no beeps.
s-l300.jpg

Reactions: 4745454b
Jul 25, 2021
Model name of the PSU ? You can find it printed on PSU label.

Find pc beeper, connect it to motherboard.
If pc with ram removed doesn't beep then the board is dead or you have a bad psu. CPU is still necessary, without cpu there will be no beeps.
s-l300.jpg
Already took it to a service guy I know, and yes, motherboard is totally dead. Everything else is fine though, so I will get a new one.

TRENDING THREADS