Question [SOLVED] Disk not recognised

triplemaya

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
HP Probook 650 G1
Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 Betsy

New hdd. Installed linux mint LDME2. Install all completes ok. On restart hdd is not recognised:
"Boot device not found"
"Please install an operating system on your hard disk"
"Hard Disk - (3FO)"
However, using Super Grub2 Disk the o/s can be started and runs fine. So the issue is purely with the laptop.
Legacy boot is enabled
Works perfectly with Windows hdd

Done loads of googling with no joy. Issue seems to occur on this hardware, but HP silent or obfusticates. Posted this query on HP forum but zero response.

TPM Embedded Security is greyed out.
System Management Command is ticked.
Secure Boot Configuration has two fields both not ticked and greyed out - SecureBoot & Clear SecureBoot Keys

Last edited:

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
you are describing a missing grub.
There should be plenty of resources to assist you in adding grub again to the current HDD.
Worst case scenario you need to reinstall Linux and pay extra attention to where grub is installed.

triplemaya

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Thanks. That is what I thought. I used Super Grub2 Disk to start it up. Then grub-install, then update-grub. No change.
Sorry, should have put that in the first message.
Also tried a cloned disk from another hp same age and again disk not recognised.

triplemaya

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
SOLVED. Changed bios to UEFI. Saved. Install went ok and the new os booted fine.
Super weird. When I went back into the bios for some other issue, the setting was set to Legacy Boot. Go figure!?

TRENDING THREADS