[SOLVED!] External HDD keeps ejecting during copy process

extremecheese23

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018
I have an external HDD from Seagate and whenever I copy a lot - or bigger - files it randomly keeps ejecting during the process and reconnects a few seconds later. Sometimes it even ejects every USB device that's plugged into my computer. Another related problem is, that the copy process slows down to 0 Bytes/s every few seconds, remains that way for a couple of seconds and then speeds up again, just to repeat the process. I can clearly hear my internal HDD slow down, stop and speed up again when that happens. It doesn't do that when I copy files internally, so it's the external HDD, that creates the problem.

Now, the thing is, by now I've figured out that it actually works when I plug the drive into an externally powered USB 2.0 hub which is a little strange to me. So my question is, doesn't the hard drive get enough power and would a y-cable be the solution?

- -
Edit: Ok, so for everyone that encounters the same problem, a y-cable definitely fixes it! The copy process STILL slows down every couple of seconds though, at least when copying large files. I don't know the reason for that though.

Nothing strange about a portable drive on some computers needing power from a mains-powered USB hub -- it's very common in fact. I've been using a mains powered hub for my portable drives for years. The power available at a USB port is limited and may be borderline to requirements (for the portable drive) or even not enough. Where it's borderline, that's when the drive will connect/disconnect repeatedly if it's relying solely on USB power.

extremecheese23

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018

Ok, do you think a y-cable fixes that problem?