Question [SOLVED] First row of keyboard printing letters and numbers simultaneously and numeric keypad turning the PC off

Feb 10, 2020
A few hours ago the first row of my keyboard started to print letters and numbers simultaneously, the opposite is also happening, but this only happens with specific keys, I press 1 and I get 'q1', I press 'q' and I also get 'q1' , 2 prints 'w2' and 'w' does the same, the printed values are always diagonal in relation to their positions on the keyboard. This occurs until keys 4 and 'r' and returns from 8 and 'i'.

In addition, keys 7 and 8 on the numeric keypad are turning off the computer.

I tested the keyboard on another computer and it worked normally, I also tested another keyboard on the computer that is having the problem and the replacement keyboard worked perfectly, which excludes the possibility of a hardware problem. My feeling is that the keyboard and the PC are getting into some kind of conflict, but so far I haven't been able to identify what it would be. Especially because it happened out of the blue, without me making any changes to the PC.

I tried some solutions like changing the keyboard settings, changing the sensitivity of the keys, passing the antivirus, among other simpler things. I also ran CHKDSK / R / F to see if it worked, but it didn't work either. Besides that I also looked for the driver of the keyboard but I didn't find it.

Has anyone faced something like this or have any idea what it might be?

The PC is a third generation I3 with 8gb of ram, the motherboard is a Gigabyte. I'm using Windows 10 and the keyboard is a Fortrek Spider GK-704BK

Feb 10, 2020
go someplace where you can check the keyboard
This was the first thing I did. it is working properly in another computer. And now I am using a substitute keyboard in the same PC and it is working fine as well. The problem is specifically between the keyboard I have mentioned and the PC it was plugged.

Does said keyboard have any utility associated with it? Have you uninstalled / disabled it?
Not really, there is no driver or any software linked to it.

Boot your computer into BIOS
That's a good idea, I'll do that.

Jan 31, 2020
Theoretically it could be a driver issue if it works on one PC and not the other. If the keyboard is normally plugged into the PC that isn't working properly, checking when it lasted updated could give us a hint. Has it updated OS recently major or minor updates. (driver issues normally occur in minor updates).

Feb 10, 2020
apriestley881 Yes. it really seems to be something with the driver. but that is the point, there is no driver, neither in the oficial website nor in anywhere else. Apparently it should work just linked with something of Windows.

Has it updated OS recently major or minor update
No, it doesn't. I also thought about that, but there was no change in the OS or any other thing at all. I was using it and out of thin air the issue arose.

As you can see, it is a very strange case and I just can't figure it out :coldsweat:.

As Alabalcho have suggested I'll boot the PC tomorrow morning, but it is my final hope.

Jan 31, 2020
Hi Berg_Durden,
Just wondering if booting into BIOS worked at all?
Here are a few other things you could try:

• Boot into safe mode
  • Roll back PC to a time before the problem
  • Uninstall and reinstall standard USB drivers
I am sorry I couldn't find a precise solution, seems like quite an odd problem if it's not hardware. I checked online for your keyboards documentation but couldn't find any.

Other ideas have lead to possible short circuit in the keyboard but that seems to of been ruled out by checking it on another computer 🤔

You could try removing the keys from the keyboard and cleaning it.

Feb 10, 2020
apriestley881

The keyboard is working, I couldn't figure out what was the issue, but I just plugged it in a few minutes ago when I was going to boot the PC and it was working. That's is kind of crazy, but if it is working that's what matters. :D

Something happened today and made me think about the possible reason, but that is just a theory. I am always with a glass of water on my table, then when I took it to drink I realized that a drop of water fell on the substitute keyboard, mabe it happened yesterday and I didn't notice, what may have caused the problem, since it has passed a day the water dried up and the interference stopped. But as I said, that is just a guess.

Anyway, thank you for your time and atention.

Best regards!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS