Question [SOLVED][Fix Inside] Super slow transfer speeds using USB 3.1 Type-A port with an external drive

EeK009

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
I'm in the process of backing up my files so I can perform a clean installation of Windows 10, and for that I'm using a 1TB Buffalo MiniStation portable hard drive (like this one).

I've had it since my MBP days, and even though my mobo (Asus Maximus IX Formula) has a USB Type-C port, I don't have a Thunderbolt adapter, so I'm resorting to its USB 3.0 cable.

When plugged into my mobo's only USB 3.1 Type-A port, I get super slow transfer speeds (less than 100 KB/s). When using any of the USB 3.0 ports, I get speeds of up to 100 MB/s.

Does anyone have idea why? I'm using the exact same cable (the only one I have, because of the weird connector on the external drive). System and drivers are up-to-date.

Update: Solved!

Through some Google-fu, I found a user on the TenForums who recommended the modded drivers by another user, named Fernando, from the Win-RAID Forum.

Downloaded the latest "pure" ASMedia USB 3.x drivers for Windows 10 (link here), ran the EXE and, upon completion, the drivers were successfully installed.

Rebooted my machine, and although there was no difference in driver version according to Device Manager, I plugged the same external drive, using the same cable, into the USB 3.1 Type-A port at the rear IO of my mobo.

Copied a file to it from my Samsung 960 Pro (512 GB), where Windows 10 Pro (1903) is installed. Transfer speeds were close to 100 MBps, which I believe is as good as it gets for a 5400 RPM drive connected via a 3.0 interface.

Fernando's drivers had something in them that fixed the issue. Sweet!

Last edited:

EeK009

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
on the same system or different one?

what is your system spec?

Same system, same cable. The 3.1 Type-A port yields low results no matter what, when it should be the fastest, theoretically.

System:

i7-7700K
32 GB RAM
1080 Ti
Asus Maximus IX Formula (motherboard)
Windows 10 Pro (1903) running on a Samsung 960 Pro (512 GB)