[SOLVED] Full screen video off-center

jacodema

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
*It is the result of the chrome version. Resetting your theme or enabling task bar on both monitors can fix this issue.

Untitled.png

Full screen videos are slightly off-center on my external monitor. It recently started happening. I do not recall any major changes or updates to my system. You can seen on the left side of the image my laptop display. That is working fine. On the right side is a full screen youtube video which is slightly off to the right and down. This happens with any full screen video including youtube, netflix, other sites. This only happens with Chrome. Edge and other browsers do not have this problem.

Edit: desktop displays normally. All other windows display normally except when in full screen on chrome.

Edit 2: Uninstalled/re-installed chrome. Did not fix the issue.

Edit 3: Disabled hardware acceleration and this did not help. I also reset my theme to default and it did seem to fix it. However i've had themes for years and this recently started happening.

• ■ Nvidia GTX 965M
    ■ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    ■ Core i7 4720
    ■ RAM 24GB
    ■ Samsung S22F350 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor, Black
    Connected via VGA
    ■ Chrome 52 stable
    ■ Game-ready Driver 368.81 (Nvidia)

This isn't an emergency but it is pretty annoying. Normally I try to solve stuff on my own but nothing I can think to search is helping. I hope this is the right forum.
Thank you for any help,
Jake

Solution
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the exact same issue and resetting the theme to default worked for me as well.

That being said, I noticed that the default theme seems to have removed a border that's a few pixels high from the top of the window. Also, it only happens to me the Chrome window is full screened.

If I had to guess, Chrome's video wrapper is telling it to render at co-ordinates relative to the maximized default space of the Chrome window rather than relying directly on what the Windows Desktop Manager provides (only when the window is maximized). I have no idea why they would do this. Probably a quick hack one of the devs put in a while back that they didn't think would cause long-term issues.

TL;DR Another...

dimmidice

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I can't help you, but i'm just posting to say i have the exact same issue. also left/top that's showing the desktop. also only on chrome. also started happening recently, about a week ago. I have an AMD card so it's probably nothing to do with our GPUs. I suspect its just a chrome error.

jacodema

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016

Right now it seems to work to disable your theme. Go to settings and click "reset to default theme". I'm not calling this the solution right now because I've been using themes since i've had Chrome years and years ago.

ThunderFace

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the exact same issue and resetting the theme to default worked for me as well.

That being said, I noticed that the default theme seems to have removed a border that's a few pixels high from the top of the window. Also, it only happens to me the Chrome window is full screened.

If I had to guess, Chrome's video wrapper is telling it to render at co-ordinates relative to the maximized default space of the Chrome window rather than relying directly on what the Windows Desktop Manager provides (only when the window is maximized). I have no idea why they would do this. Probably a quick hack one of the devs put in a while back that they didn't think would cause long-term issues.

TL;DR Another workaround is to not have the Chrome window maximized prior to putting the video in full screen.

Solution

Ilikemo

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
One fix that I have been able to find was in the task bar settings (right click task bar and select settings). Then turn on "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode". This causes the task bar to be hidden unless you mouse over it but it has seemed to fix my problem. Also is a better alternative to putting two task bars on my monitors. Hope this helps!

soulwvn

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017

Not having chrome maximized works 100%. Thank you so much!