[SOLVED] [Solved] Getting roughly only 18 mb while having 1GB internet speed ?

liad9005

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Hello there :) !
I have an ASUS ROG STRIX G731GT LAPTOP. I have Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
also, I have 1 gig (fibre) internet speed, connected via Ethernet cable.
in recent months i've noticed speed deterioration. at first it was going from 950 to 750, after couple of weeks it deteriorated from 750 to around 350 and so on. today im having 13mpb in a bad day and 20 in a good day.

NOTE:when running a speed test, the test is not fluent, and by fluent i mean:
2 seconds into the test: 100~ mb (and it "freezes" at this speed for a second or two)
4 seconds: it just drop to 30~mb and again "freezes" for a second or 2
and so on till its just freezes at 18mb average.
its like something is blocking the gateway for a second, then stops and then blocks it again.

I checked internet speed on 3 different pc to mine and they all had 950+ mb fluent speed (you know when the numbers after the dot just go crazy - fluent test as i mentiond before)

NOTE: i'm trying to fix this problem for almost 3 weeks now.
At first i thought it was the cable (you always go for the cable first)
one thing i also noticed is that when i check the speed under the Ethernet Adapter status (where it mentions the speed) is set to 100 mb (few weeks before it was at 1.0 Gb!)
i messed around with Speed & Duplex speed rates, power managment, etc..
so, I finally swithced cables!
yes, now under Ethernet Adapter status it now says "1.0 Gb".
the only issue is the speed is remaining the same.

I myself know little about networking because of college experience but i cant point a finger on whats not working properly. even any power saving feature for network adpaters is off (since its a laptop you know)

in short:
I would like to hear more opinions if my PC is just a Toaster in diguise or there is something that i miss.
is it likely my Internet card is jammed?
ALSO AN IMPORTANT NOTE: a year before this my graphic hdmi ports has been burnet out out of the blue, and i feel like more stuff inside my laptop is slowley burning (still even when having a huge HAVOC cooling pad) .
maybe my ports or whatever it is burnet out too?

I ran the speed test on wifi when im less then a meter away and the results are the same
thats why i suspect a pc hardware problem rather then cables and ISP's

I SINCERELY THANK ANYONE WHO PUT THE TIME TO HELP, THANK YOU!

So what I did:
1)changing cables (didnt change anything)
2)unlimiting power for adpaters (didnt work)
3)changing from auto negotiation to 1 gb full duplex (didnt help) and turned it back to auto negotiaion
4)changing ports on the modem (didnt change anything)

everything is up to date - the BIOS the firmware, the drivers, hell we even got the newest modem from our ISP with the specialized ISP-Ethernet-Cable we got when we switched to them.
so yes on my side, everything points out that i should just throw my pc out the window and get a new one, but before i do that i would like to hear your professional opinion on this since i aint one

Last edited:
Solution
It is likely some software but finding it can be a challenge. Maybe check that you have IPv6 disabled, if you are using IPv6 and the other machines are using IPv4.

What you can do to test the network hardware and basic drivers is use a old line mode program called IPERF to transfer data between 2 machines in your house. You should see over 900mbps in both directions.

If this works I would suspect maybe the web browser. What do you get say on a large steam download, remembering steam is in BYTES/sec not bits.
It is likely some software but finding it can be a challenge. Maybe check that you have IPv6 disabled, if you are using IPv6 and the other machines are using IPv4.

What you can do to test the network hardware and basic drivers is use a old line mode program called IPERF to transfer data between 2 machines in your house. You should see over 900mbps in both directions.

If this works I would suspect maybe the web browser. What do you get say on a large steam download, remembering steam is in BYTES/sec not bits.

Solution

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
ALSO AN IMPORTANT NOTE: a year before this my graphic hdmi ports has been burnet out out of the blue, and i feel like more stuff inside my laptop is slowley burning (still even when having a huge HAVOC cooling pad) .
maybe my ports or whatever it is burnet out too?

Sounds like your laptop has major issues.
Have you tried a friend's laptop or PC just to eliminate external issues and narrow it down to your laptop and nothing else?

liad9005

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013

i know that all 3 PC's i have at home use IPv6, since i've been working with them quite sometime' ever since i got each device.

I will definetly try this, ill update.

about Steam download, its weird, sometimes i get somewhere around 15 mpb and some days are worst as 900 K/b
but steam overall is quite problematic with downloads, in my region at least (serevrs quite far)

liad9005

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Sounds like your laptop has major issues.
Have you tried a friend's laptop or PC just to eliminate external issues and narrow it down to your laptop and nothing else?
I've tried 2 different devices (PC each) and even with the broken cable they get the full 960-980 Mb
Im trying to narrow down posibilities

Its not the cable
Its not the modem or ISP
I thought maybe with windows 11 update it jammed my network adapters?
also deleted and reinstalled drivers, to the newest. some guy mentioned rolling it back to older version - problem is i dont know what the version was.

liad9005

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
I checked internet speed on 3 different pc to mine and they all had 950+ mb fluent speed (you know when the numbers after the dot just go crazy - fluent test as i mentiond before)

NOTE: i'm trying to fix this problem for almost 3 weeks now.
At first i thought it was the cable (you always go for the cable first)
one thing i also noticed is that when i check the speed under the Ethernet Adapter status (where it mentions the speed) is set to 100 mb (few weeks before it was at 1.0 Gb!)
i messed around with Speed & Duplex speed rates, power managment, etc..
so, I finally swithced cables!
yes, now under Ethernet Adapter status it now says "1.0 Gb".
the only issue is the speed is remaining the same.

I even used the bad cable with another PC and it was at 960 Mb...
seems like hardware issue then?
just want to make sure before i spend money on useless repairs.

liad9005

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
UDPATE: I FIXED THE PROBLEM
apperantly theres a custom driver update specificly for windows 11 on asus ROG GT 731 Series.
and i found an app called GameFirst V (comes with the laptop).
before testing i deleted the app since its controlling your network chaotically..
so its either the update or either this wierd app that limited some apps.

Thanks for the Help guys!

Reactions: PEnns

TRENDING THREADS