Question [SOLVED] High pitched warning beep and high usage on brand new 4070?

Aug 24, 2024
I just bought my first PC, a pre-built with a 4070. but even playing relatively old games (The Witcher 3) on the lowest settings has the GPU usage at 100% with a very loud beep coming from the computer. I'm wondering if there is anything at all that can be done to fix this, or if I just have to return my brand new PC? attached is a video of the bios and the whine coming from the computer Link

Update: I tried another game and didn't have the same issue. It seems to only be an issue with the witcher for some reason. stress testing the gpu also doesn't get the same beep

Last edited:

Richj444

Commendable
May 25, 2022
I just bought my first PC, a pre-built with a 4070. but even playing relatively old games (The Witcher 3) on the lowest settings has the GPU usage at 100% with a very loud beep coming from the computer. I'm wondering if there is anything at all that can be done to fix this, or if I just have to return my brand new PC? attached is a video of the bios and the whine coming from the computer Link

Update: I tried another game and didn't have the same issue. It seems to only be an issue with the witcher for some reason. stress testing the gpu also doesn't get the same beep
At the end of the video, did I see CPU Socket temperature of 107? If that's the case it's probably a warning beep for the temperature. Use HWinfo to monitor the temps while you run the game. If it's actually getting that hot, the system builder screwed something up.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

That sounds like a major dose of coil whine. It could be coming from either GPU or PSU. Typically it happens because of the inductors on a component resonate as current is passed through them. It doesn't damage anything, but it can be highly annoying. If it's really bothersome then talk to vendor, and get a process started with them. Either RMA whole PC or GPU/PSU.

You can try to cap in game FPS to that of your monitor, which may reduce the whine. Often in games, and specially in the game menu (when FPS can be really high) you can hear it more. Pain in the butt alright.

I've only ever had one component with it, an EVGA GTX1060 Dual. They replaced it for me with zero questions.

What are the rest of your PC specs, including PSU?

Aug 24, 2024
At the end of the video, did I see CPU Socket temperature of 107? If that's the case it's probably a warning beep for the temperature. Use HWinfo to monitor the temps while you run the game. If it's actually getting that hot, the system builder screwed something up.
It was actually the warning on my backup power supply! I figured it out after looking at a thread from a couple years back where someone had a similar issue. Moving my monitors onto a separate power supply fixed the issue.

Reactions: Richj444