[SOLVED] [Solved] How to remove m.2 ssd standoff screw from asus tuf x570plus gaming mobo?

May 27, 2021
I wanted to upgrade my 128gb m.2 ssd to a 500gb one but when removing it i got stumped as to how to remove the standoff as only the top screw used to screw in the standoff. Its seems stuck i couldnt turn it a bit using my hands or pliers. There were two standoff screws which came with the mobo and as they seemed a perfect fit i used them to install the ssd. Please advice as to how i can remove the standoff without damaging anything and whether i used the wrong thing to install the m.2?
Pics of the stuck standoff and one extra that came with the mobo are in the link ( sorry for the bad quality)
https://www.reddit.com/user/datawkw...tuck/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Solution
Use more force.
SSD should be on top of the standoff (not between motherboard and standoff).

q16c1oceao171.jpg
May 27, 2021
Use more force.
SSD should be on top of the standoff (not between motherboard and standoff).

q16c1oceao171.jpg
If i get your statement right i think i originally installed the ssd wrong as the standoff that you can see is above the ssd itself
Anyway to remove it without using too much force as im afraid i might damage something

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Ngl, they look like someone run out of nvme screws or didn't know they come with the motherboard and forced screwed a standoff there and there you got the result. i would thread lightly, and def confront the previous owner.

May 27, 2021
All I'm saying is I've worked on boards where they are permanent.
I don't want you try to twist it out if it's permanent.
Ive got it out just had to
I wanted to upgrade my 128gb m.2 ssd to a 500gb one but when removing it i got stumped as to how to remove the standoff as only the top screw used to screw in the standoff. Its seems stuck i couldnt turn it a bit using my hands or pliers. There were two standoff screws which came with the mobo and as they seemed a perfect fit i used them to install the ssd. Please advice as to how i can remove the standoff without damaging anything and whether i used the wrong thing to install the m.2?
Pics of the stuck standoff and one extra that came with the mobo are in the link ( sorry for the bad quality)
https://www.reddit.com/user/datawkw...tuck/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Ive got it just burrowed some bigger cleaner pliers and really forced it out at the cost of a small dent on the ssd thermal pad and big ones the standoff
The problem was mine as i had installed the ssd wrong to begin with(should have been on top of the standoff not under as stated by somone above which i have corrected ) and somehow tightened it to a godly level not much damage as the ssd works fine as of rn
Thank you for anyone who replied.

May 27, 2021
Ngl, they look like someone run out of nvme screws or didn't know they come with the motherboard and forced screwed a standoff there and there you got the result. i would thread lightly, and def confront the previous owner.
The board was brand new when i bought it 2 months ago
The board didnt have any preinstalled screws in this slot the one under a heatsink did have tho along with two of these standoffs
The fault was mine as stated in another reply

TRENDING THREADS