[SOLVED] Solved: I have a crowded 2.4 GHz wifi band. Can I relay to 5 GHz?

Feb 9, 2021
I am provided WiFi on 2.4 GHz, but am located far from the router. I have neighbors' use of 2.4 GHz degrading my WiFi at certain times. I could move my computer but that would take a little doing. I do have 5 GHz capable on my computer and cell phone, and have looked at using a range extender. Can a range extender crossband from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz and give me a signal in the clear? And crossband from me using 5 back to the router on 2.4? If so, that would get me out of the neighborhood logjam at this end of the house.

If a range extender only repeats in-band, a stronger signal here might overcome the logjam, too. Advice, anyone?

Solution
If your only option is wifi and you have no control over anything other than the pc you likely will not be able to fix this. Now "maybe" if you use a directional antenna on your PC you could get better signal on the 2.4g band and hope the router and the interfering signals are not in the same direction.

The huge problem with any form of repeater including the mesh systems is they must get a good signal from the main router to begin with. If you put some box next to your PC that receives the same bad 2.4g siganal it will only make it worse when it re transmit it as 5g and that ignores the penalties you pay even if you had a perfect signal.

Normally you would place a mesh/repeater in a location it can get good signal from the main...

kanewolf

Titan
I am provided WiFi on 2.4 GHz, but am located far from the router. I have neighbors' use of 2.4 GHz degrading my WiFi at certain times. I could move my computer but that would take a little doing. I do have 5 GHz capable on my computer and cell phone, and have looked at using a range extender. Can a range extender crossband from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz and give me a signal in the clear? And crossband from me using 5 back to the router on 2.4? If so, that would get me out of the neighborhood logjam at this end of the house.

If a range extender only repeats in-band, a stronger signal here might overcome the logjam, too. Advice, anyone?
If you have interference from neighboring WIFI, then a stronger signal might help. It is difficult to predict. But a repeater will 1/2 the bandwidth.
Have you investigated powerline network adapters or MoCA to get you a wired network ?

If it is possible, move router in place where you have equal connection speed at both sides where you are. And switch 2.4 GHz to unused channel. You can install an application in phone that can detect used WiFi channels.

Using second WiFi router with 5 GHz in WDS mode and 2.4 GHz in AP mode works. Did similar setup at our office to provide WiFi around garden where main router with 4G/LTE uplink is sitting on light pole near car parking. Speed over 2.4 Ghz in AP side is between 50-70 Mbit/s - enough for garden needs and TV at second floor in sauna.

Avoid any "range extenders" - they are hidden or blatant scam which does not work well in real life (damn slow - all of them). If you definitely want to have complete WiFi coverage for your house, invest in WiFi mesh system. Yes, they are a bit in expensive side, but that is the best from available at now.

Feb 9, 2021
Thank you, Kanewolf for advice on repeaters and Krotow for advice on range extenders.
My WiFi was very good when I used 5 GHz when it was available. My cell phone works excellently on top of the table on 2.4 GHz but the computer under the table isn't doing so well. My options are limited, but I can move the computer out from under the table and put some bigger gain antennas on it if need be.
The router is where the router is. I have no control over the router.
I am familiar with a mesh system. I had an opportunity to use a mesh system in ham radio on 2.4 GHz and interconnected a small number of modified routers to cover the house a couple moves ago. I will check that out.
Sorry for the double posting. Connection was slower than molasses in January while I was trying to post!

The router is where the router is. I have no control over the router.

Suspiciously look like friend's family who lived on Wifi from neighbor apartment for 2 years until they moved to separate house. They managed to guess neighbor's WiFi password twice. Neighbor seems had fiber optics uplink (500 Mbps optics cost like 25€ month here) or similar fast connection and friends mostly used only TV apps and Netflix/YouTube so nobody knew.

If your only option is wifi and you have no control over anything other than the pc you likely will not be able to fix this. Now "maybe" if you use a directional antenna on your PC you could get better signal on the 2.4g band and hope the router and the interfering signals are not in the same direction.

The huge problem with any form of repeater including the mesh systems is they must get a good signal from the main router to begin with. If you put some box next to your PC that receives the same bad 2.4g siganal it will only make it worse when it re transmit it as 5g and that ignores the penalties you pay even if you had a perfect signal.

Normally you would place a mesh/repeater in a location it can get good signal from the main router but still provide signal to the remote device.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

TRENDING THREADS