[SOLVED] [SOLVED] I plugged the molex connector to the power supply when it was on, then my pc won't turn back on.

senseipanda123

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
My power supply just arrived and I plugged everything (works fine), until I decided to plug the molex connector into the power supply because a video said it "could" enable pwm, so I did, when I turned it on, nothing happened, I disconnected it then plugged it back in when it was on, then the molex cable made a shock sound and the pc turned off. I turned it back on and the motherboard leds were very dim, no light on gpu (has rgb). I am just wondering if the power supply can kill my pc parts?

Specs:
Intel I-9 9900kf
Asus Strix rtx 2080 ti
Corsair Vengeance rgb pro ddr4 3200mhz
Corsair rm850x 80+ Gold certified.

Solution
All we really know is:
There was one or more adapters
He plugged a line from the PSU, through one or more adapters, eventually ending up connected to the motherboard.
While the power was on.
Electrical shock noise, and now things no longer work.

Either the PSU, the motherboard, or both are cooked.

senseipanda123

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
I guess I forgot to and I thought if the molex cable was the reason my pc couldn't turn on in the first place, so I unplugged, nothing happened. then I plugged it back in. Thats when it happened.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so, the other end of the molex cable, is a fan header, which I connect to Mobo fan header, then the other end directly connects to the molex connector which is then connected to psu
So you went from the PSU to the 'fan header' on the motherboard?
Poof, you released the magic smoke.

That fan header on the motherboard is to power a fan. Not accept power from the PSU.

Reactions: Nemesia
I didn't go frumps to Mobo, I went from molex to fanheader to Mobo then molex to molex connecter then to psu

The only power connections on your motherboard are your 24 pin power connector and the CPU power connector. No other power connector should be plugged from the PSU to the motherboard after that.

The headers on your board gives power. They do not receive it. That would be like plugging an external electric generator to your wall socket.

Last edited:
Continuously? It was the first time someone was rude and it was deicidium369. I did not mock him and USAFRet did not either.
I read the whole thread and, maybe it is not mocking by your standards, but from my point of view it seemed you were looking down upon his actions at least a little bit. Maybe according to you, they were just examples, metaphors, etc, but from a third person's point of view, and even more so when you are at the receiving end of such metaphors, they might seem insulting at least a little bit. The example of plugging an external generator into a wall socket(given by you, I think) - from your point of view it was just a harmless metaphor, but for someone at the other end of the metaphor, it may seem like you are indirectly calling him stupid. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I say we leave this behind and focus on the problem at hand, like we always do on this forum.

I read the whole thread and, maybe it is not mocking by your standards, but from my point of view it seemed you were looking down upon his actions at least a little bit. Maybe according to you, they were just examples, metaphors, etc, but from a third person's point of view, and even more so when you are at the receiving end of such metaphors, they might seem insulting at least a little bit. The example of plugging an external generator into a wall socket(given by you, I think) - from your point of view it was just a harmless metaphor, but for someone at the other end of the metaphor, it may seem like you are indirectly calling him stupid. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I say we leave this behind and focus on the problem at hand, like we always do on this forum.

No hard feelings here. I was not mocking him at all I can assure you that. What you have to understand is that text does not convey emotions and feelings very well and I totally typed that with just the intention of informing the OP and not mock him. I agree to leave this behind. I'll go help people :)

Reactions: Shektron

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
if you have another power supply , use it to see if the Motherboard is still working or not.

most likely it is the power supply that burnt ... the fan header voltage connects directly to the 24 pins power and it is unlikely that onboard chips were damaged. I think it is the power supply.

USAFRet

Titan
All we really know is:
There was one or more adapters
He plugged a line from the PSU, through one or more adapters, eventually ending up connected to the motherboard.
While the power was on.
Electrical shock noise, and now things no longer work.

Either the PSU, the motherboard, or both are cooked.

Reactions: senseipanda123
Solution