Question {solved}Lenovo R61 laptop power/battery issues

Apr 26, 2019
Hello everyone. I have an old lenovo thinkpad r61 laptop that has been charging for about anywhere from 5 seconds to 15 seconds, then discharging and the icon will show that the laptop is not plugged in then about 2 seconds later, repeat that same exact process. I know for a fact it is not the ac adapter because I have another computer that I use this adapter with and it has no problems and the adapter makes no clicking noises or hums. but only when connected to the r61 gets very hot. I would like to know how i can tell if this is a problem with the laptops power connection, battery, or perhaps both?

Lutfij

Titan
FYI, don't use other laptop adapters in conjunction with other laptops. Only use the power brick/adapter that came with your laptop. That being said, which version of your OS are you on? Assuming you're on Windows 10. You may also want to see if you've got any BIOS updates pending for your laptop. Given the age of the laptop, I think the battery is giving up the ghost.

It's almost certainly not related to BIOS. Assuming it's the original charger, then this is most likely a problem at the board or with the battery's circuitry.

If we're talking about an aftermarket adapter, check that its electrical specs match up with what the R61's original adapter advertised. Anything too low (amps, voltage, etc.) can cause what seems like odd behavior, even if the adapter is in working condition otherwise.