Question (SOLVED)Looks Like I Might Need A New PSU (?)

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
I turned on my PC today and nothing happened. Looks completely dead. The only sign of life is that a dongle plugged into the back lights up, nothing else appears to be getting power. I made one change recently, which was to install an m.2 SSD via PCIe3. And last night I installed Linux mint on an old HDD from another computer, just to test it. The computer is a bare-bones job I had built in 2014, by Magic Micro of Cleveland. The new m.2 drive was working fine for a couple of weeks, and Mint installed last night and was running OK.

Here's the specs:

CPU: i-7 3770 Ivy Bridge.
Mobo: Giga GA-H77-DS3H
RAM: DDR3, 4 x 8 GB
DVD RW
(1) SSD 256 GB
(1 ) m.2 -PCI3 SSD 500 GB
(2) 1 TB HDD
On-board graphics
120mm Case Fan, plus usual other fans (CPU, PSU)
PSU: Antec EA500

So, this machine is 8 years old, the PSU may have finally died, but I'm not competent to assess this. I don't know what the dongle lighting up means, perhaps just some residual power? There are no other lights or any kind of activity.

I'm thinking about just buying a new PSU as it seems the most likely culprit. If so, recomendations would be appreciated. Or is it worth pursuing other causes?

Thanks.

So, this machine is 8 years old, the PSU may have finally died, but I'm not competent to assess this. I don't know what the dongle lighting up means, perhaps just some residual power? There are no other lights or any kind of activity.

Maybe it's the USB charging function on some motherboards (you can charge your USB devices even when the computer is turned off).

BTW, did you try to jump start the computer using a screwdriver (just to make sure that it's not the Power button's fault)?

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Whaddya know, I tried the jumping method and it worked! I had considered doing it before but got cold feet. Electricity, power supplies...scary stuff.

OK, so what now? I assume I need to replace the case switch, right? there is a button on the back of the PSU, is there a way to just use that?

Last edited:
Whaddya know, I tried the jumping method and it worked! I had considered doing it before but got cold feet. Electricity, power supplies...scary stuff.

OK, so what now? I assume I need to replace the case switch, right? there is a button on the back of the PSU, is there a way to just use that?

Great!

You got two solutions :

1. Buy an external switch combo like this, you also have extra USB ports.

HTB1EB4FX2fsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaO.jpg

2. You can change a setting in the Bios so that the computer will start each time you switch it on using the PSU button, but I don't recommend this method for long terms. You can use it while waiting for a new On/Off button.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Great!

You got two solutions :

1. Buy an external switch combo like this, you also have extra USB ports.

HTB1EB4FX2fsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaO.jpg

2. You can change a setting in the Bios so that the computer will start each time you switch it on using the PSU button, but I don't recommend this method for long terms. You can use it while waiting for a new On/Off button.
Right now, the 24-pin mobo connector is not plugged in, since I have the paperclip in it. The computer is in my basement on a bench, with nothing hooked up. I'll connect the monitor and mouse, and give that a shot.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
You can use the Reset button on the case as the Power button. You don't even have to take out the switches. Just swap the connectors on the motherboard header.
OK, but I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think I have a reset button on the case, what I meant was, the PSU itself has an off/on switch. That's how I turned it on using the jumping trick.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
After doing some cleaning, I connected the monitor and a wired mouse, and the PSU comes on, the DVD engages, as well as the forward case fan. but not the rear fan or CPU fan. So power is going to some places, but not to others, which makes sense as the 24-pin connector is not plugged in. But no monitor, so how do I get into the Bios?

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Stop the presses, problem 100% solved. I got the freakin manual out, found the page where it shows how the power, reset etc switches all hook up, took them all out and put them all back into the correct slots. And now everything works!

I think what happened is that, when I was installing an old HDD to test Linux Mint on, I must have pulled loose the power switch, and put it back in the wrong slot. I remember that it seemed loose, so I had just pushed it in where it happened to be, which turns out was the "chassis intrusion header," whatever the heck that is. Putting everything back where it belonged, per the manual, solved the problem

No PSU needed OR power switch either! Chalk one up to good luck, I guess, and some helpful comments from here, as usual.

Thanks, maybe this will help someone else down the road.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Great. I was typing a detailed explanation about the power switch connection when your post came in.

I thought you meant the power switch header pins when you talked about jump starting. Apparently lvt did too. Your question about replacing the case switch added to the confusion.

FYI the case switch does not directly short the green and black wires on the 24-pin ATX connector. Jumpering the two wires work only as long as you keep them shorted. The case switch triggers some internal circuitry that keeps them shorted even after you've released the switch.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Great. I was typing a detailed explanation about the power switch connection when your post came in.

I thought you meant the power switch header pins when you talked about jump starting. Apparently lvt did too. Your question about replacing the case switch added to the confusion.

FYI the case switch does not directly short the green and black wires on the 24-pin ATX connector. Jumpering the two wires work only as long as you keep them shorted. The case switch triggers some internal circuitry that keeps them shorted even after you've released the switch.
Sorry about the confusion. I was trying to do what you suggested, switch the power and reset switches, still thinking I had a bad power switch. that's when I suddenly remembered that the power switch wire seemed loose, and I had shoved it in to where it looked like it wanted to go. It had fallen slightly, so it was lined up to the bottom row of headers, when it should have been in the top row, just above that. But when I looked at the diagram in the manual, I realized my mistake, and that the power switch was probably OK.

So, my board must have a rest switch somewhere, since there is a reset wire that plugs into the appropriate header. but where it is, that's another question. I looked all over that mobo but could not find it. It's all back together now, nicely cleaned as a bonus. Plus, I cleaned up all the wire spaghetti under my desk, and reattached the surge protector to the wall, and vacuumed the area. so I now have a cleaner work space. all's well that ends well.