[Solved] Memtest error with two sticks but not with one!!

arweth

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I have recently started getting BSODs and an unstable operating system environment.

I have run memtest thinking it was potentially something to do with RAM and received thousands of errors upwards of the 80000 mark.

Testing the sticks individually results with no errors what so ever.

The Specs are : Motherboard Asus P8 Z77-V Pro
Ram: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Model / SKU : CML8GX3M2A1600C9
CPU : INTEL I7-3770K
Graphics Card: HIS ATI Radeon HD5670

Following the Manual the Ram is installed into the A2 and B2 Slots which is the recommended best configuration for two sticks of RAM.

I have checked the settings to set the RAM clock speed to the RAMs rated value and ensured the voltage and timings are set to the values tested by Corsair.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a RAM or motherboard issue due to the errors only being there when both sticks are tested. I have tried them in different slots to check if it was potentially a faulty slot and the same issue happened no errors when testing one stick but errors when testing both.

As far as I know there was no issues as the system has been stable since it was purchased and has not been checked from memory so the entire system is still under the warranties.

Edit:
Just a bit more info.
With the BSODs I was getting them with Page fault in non paged area and another one which was Memory Management. What maybe me think of RAM was I had random applications that just started crashing and checking the event logs svchost had been crashing and the errors pointed to corrupt memory.

Edit No2:
I just saw Memtest86 sees 8138MB of Ram and all the errors are when its testing the last stick no matter which stick is in the second slot. And all the errors are occurring at 8166.8MB according to MemTest which is outside the range it sees as it is testing 0 - 8192MB where its seeing the max as 8138. Could this be an issue with the way my motherboard sees the RAM in the dual channel configuration or is it an error or configuration of some sort?

Solution
I found the source of the problem was the memory modules. I had them tested on another board with a similar result so RMAd them and ran the same test on the new modules with no errors.

arweth

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I found the source of the problem was the memory modules. I had them tested on another board with a similar result so RMAd them and ran the same test on the new modules with no errors.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS