[SOLVED] Solved Micro Stutters on High-End PC (7900XTX, R9 7950X, 64GB RAM 6000MHz)

KombatKatana

Honorable
Jul 31, 2019
Hi everyone,

*Removed by moderator* I think I found the solution, so I hope this helps others or gives them a place to start off. If it doesn’t then please add your fix or give other suggestions to try.

I was experiencing micro stutters with audio and video on my high-end PC. My specs are as follows:

• GPU: Nitro 7900XTX
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 7950X
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator 64GB DDR5 6000MHz
  • Storage: 2x 2TB 980 Pro NVMe SSDs
  • PSU: Corsair 1600W
  • Motherboard: RO Crosshair Extreme X670E
  • Cooling: Custom Watercool for CPU & GPU, with two thick 480rads in push-pull config

Additional Info:

• Case full of Corsair Fans\LED Strips, also Corasir 1000D
  • Mouse: Razor Viper Ultimate
  • Keyboard: Custom and Moonlander
  • Rodecaster Pro 2: Recently added (also beta released around time of issues)
  • Corsair USB headset stand
  • Headset: ROG Delta 2 (Recently released)

Alright, it may seem like I added a bit extra on the info, but there is a reason for that, which I will explain later. So, despite having such powerful hardware, I notice occasional micro stutters in various games and applications, especially when gaming. It would look like I was missing every other frame, and my audio would get very robotic. Even in discord, I would sound and people would sound to me choppy. It felt like I was playing with high ping/lag.

• My system temperatures are fine and my CPU/GPU usage don't seem to max out when the stutters happen (verified with CPUID HWMonitor and Task Manager Performance Tab).
  • I updated the bios to my motherboard
  • Reinstalled the chipset
  • Made sure all AMD CPU/GPU driver were up to date
  • Did all windows updates
  • Made sure nothing was overclocked/undervolted/etc.
  • Made sure I had plenty of compatible memory and set to the correct settings
  • Made sure SSDs had plenty of room (only half full)
  • Checked for malware (granted only use for gaming so little chance of virus/malware)
  • Confirmed strong ethernet connection of 1gb
  • Went in as an administrator and confirmed no corrupt Windows files using System File Checker (SFC) and DISM
Finally, at this point it I thought I tried everything and was backing up key files on my PC before doing a fresh install of Windows 11. But then I found a reddit post that I have to credit, especially PinoyBeluga_3:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/yns140/micro_stutter_after_a_while_of_pc_being_on_in/

He noted that he had to go into ROG Armoury Crate, since the RGB controls were causing the stuttering. I had not been in ROG Armoury Crate since I built my PC. When I looked in there, in the Tools Tab all my drivers were out of date, and in the Setting Tab all my firmware was out of date. I believe the thing that probably set it off was my new ROG Delta 2 Wireless Headset (which also needed an update), I also checked Corsair ICUE and more updates for all that firmware as well. Now after doing ALL of those Driver/Firmware updates my stutters finally went away. So make sure you are checking each and everyone of your brand specific softwares that does there updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
@KombatKatana

Please remember that this Forum requires civility.

There are reasons that posts are removed, merged or otherwise managed.

Everyone here is a volunteer and we all have our own ways of trying to troubleshoot and assist.

Please be forewarned that insults can and do result in warnings and stronger actions.

Your post has been marked as Solved.