[SOLVED]** Migrating/Cloning Dual-Boot System to SSD

roxie24011

Reputable
Nov 30, 2018
I have a 1TB HDD with four partitions: 1. WinXP, 2. Win10, 3. Data, 4. Media.

I want to only "clone" the WinXP and Win10 OS's and their apps/programs to a 500GB SSD but retain the dual-boot capability.

I currently have used EasyBCD to setup the dual boot. When I boot to Win10, that partition drive is shown as C: and when I boot to WinXP (for legacy apps and hardware) its partition drive is shown as C: Changes from D: to C:

Once I get the two OS's onto the SSD, those partitions on the HDD will be removed and the current Data partition will be resized.

My concern is the clone/migration of the dual boot function and going to a smaller SSD.

I used Macrium Free originally but that was a clone from a smaller to larger HDD and it cloned the entire small HDD to the larger and the dual boot worked just fine.

Also, the current HDD is MBR as are two other HDDs in the computer (non-system disks). And since everything is under the 1TB limit, will stay MBR.

One more thought - since WinXP is currently the first partition on my HDD, do I have an issue with "Alignment" with trying to clone that partition in the same order - WinXP, Win10, etc.? Can I change the order of the cloned partitions or will WinXP always be the first one?

If anyone can walk me through a step-by-step process for this migration/clone, I would really appreciate the help.