[Solved] Motherboard won't boot after installing graphics card, EVEN after reverting build. Please help, any ideas?

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hello, I'm currently finishing up a build with a graphics card. Because of the current market, I had been using Intel integrated graphics for about 6 weeks now with my build, no problem. Recently, I snagged a EVGA GTX 1060 SSC 6 GB for a good price, so I was so ecstatic to finish my build once in for all!
(complete parts list below)

However, I ran into some serious trouble. I installed the 1060 into my PCI-E slot. Then booted up my machine (still case open) to test it. And everything lit up, including the 1060 LED. I went to get my monitor HDMI to start connecting peripherals to my computer, and around this time I think heard the CPU fan speeding up, and then within a few seconds, the computer turned off.

Okay, I thought this was weird, so I tried turning the computer on again. No dice.
Then I thought maybe it was the front panel power button, so I unplugged it and nothing happened when I shorted the two power pins.

Now, I was in full-blown troubleshooting mode: time to take out the 1060 and revert my build to the IGP state (everything below except for the 1060).

Sadly, the computer will not turn on. Not a peep. Even after removing all but one RAM stick, and taking the motherboard off the stand offs with the minimal build. Nothing.

I even checked my EVGA G3 PSU with the 24-pin checker thingy and the PSU fan seems to turn on fine by itself.

I'm extremely frustrated right now, and I think I may have shorted my motherboard (or even CPU!) permanently. What do you guys think? Any other explanations?

My build is below (I tested this build for 6 weeks without the GTX 1060). Thank you for reading my posts, any fresh ideas or questions are welcome!

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Dell - SE2716H 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech - MK550 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

I tried clearing the CMOS. No luck. The graphics card seems to be fine.

nowayhaze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Okay, so the motherboard was completely dead, no lights or any sound.
I ended up RMAing my motherboard to Gigabyte. They exchanged it for a completely new one, and now everything works! Thanks!