Question [Solved!] Motherboard's flashy lights power on, power switch does nothing

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
I have a E3 Pro Gaming V5 Motherboard, it gave me zero problems for the first 15 months from when it was new.

But this morning I when to switch on my PC as I do everyday, first the PSU, then the power button on the case, nothing happens, no fans even attempt to spin, or even the power button led night doesn't turn on.

But the the motherboard is certainly getting power, which all it's led lights on blinking as normal.

Now my PC with the motherboard still attached to the case is sitting there almost barebones (except the CPU/Fan still installed).

So far I tried

1. Removed all unnecessary usb devices (bluetooth, external HDs, wifi, etc.)
  2. Disconnected all SATA HDs, Case Fans, etc
  3. Tried another Power Switch
  4. Removed Graphics Card
  5. Tried another good working 500w PSU
  6. Removed the 2 RAM Sticks
Now I'm exhausted out of ideas, other than a PSU and CPU/Fan still connected, all I want to see is the Fan spin.

I'm left upset and desperate for any other ideas, how could a great reliable gaming machine just fail like that without any warning at all ?

Last edited:

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
7. Now removed the CMOS Battery, waited 10-15mins, then replaced it with a brand new one.

Can only leave me with two options now, is it an unlikely fact the cpu got loose, or is my case shortening out my MB. It sits on Standby, keyboard lights up, mouse. Hit Power button, no noise, no case power led light.

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
I should reply to my own thread in-case a google search helps someone else.

It's been working perfect like new again for last 48 hours, I had my loose cables tied out of the way with Twist Ties, with time it's looks they began dissolving exposing the wires inside, one or all of them or all of them must of developed a current. Didn't think this could of the problem because I saw none directly contacting the MB, but everything from motherboard fan wires where tied together with the PSU cables.

And I did try another Power supply before, but I didn't remove the old one out of the case, just disconnected ATX 24 pin and CPU and tried another sitting outside the case, then ruled that out, so this unwanted current must of still been there.

Had all sorts of werid behaviour from Not Switching on, Switching on turn, then turning off after a min or two, and it even sometimes switched itself on by itself, then along with another violent power cut, which soon gave me clues to suspect it's a short

Anyway all I learnt is Never use Twist Ties !

Last edited:
Definitely never a good idea to use twist ties in a computer case, especially on power supply wires. Many twist ties have a thin wire inside to give them enough rigidity, but also hold the shape of whatever we mold them into. If the insulating material on the outside ever strips away, whatever they come in contact with can be shorted out. Best option is to use plastic or nylon cable ties that come with many computer cases and power supplies. They can also be bought separately. Not only will those stand up to a lot more movement, there is no conductive material to wear down to.

Thanks for posting back with the explanation of what happened!

- TP

May 16, 2020
I have the exact same problem, except nothing has worked. My PC was working this morning and I shut it down to get lunch. When I came back it would not power back on. The MB lights are on and my usb ports work, but it won't turn on. No fans, nothing. I have tried taking everything out and making sure it's all connected right. I have tried manually connecting the power pins to turn it on but it did nothing. I used my brother's PSU to see if mine was toast. But his did not start my PC either. What could it be?