Question [SOLVED] Multiple Gpus crash and reboot computer on driver install

Carl1237

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
I'm not very savvy when it comes to hardware and I only have a basic understanding of the software pertaining to this. For my sake I ask that any suggestions describe in detail what they want me to do and avoid using tech terms I might not understand.

What I'm using:
Computer: Acer Aspire TC-705
Bios Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B4, 6/11/2015
Psu: EVGA 500W White
Original Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Gpu1(friend gave it to me, he previously used it): MSI GTX 960
Gpu2(Bought brand new a few days ago): Radeon RX 580 8GB
*Nothing is overclocked

The Issue: This happens in the same exact way on both cards
With integrated graphics on I will turn off my computer.
With the computer off I will plug the card in then turn it back on.
After that I load into onboard graphics running through the card.
I go to the drivers and attempt to install them. (using DDU to uninstall NVIDIA and AMD drivers before hand)
About halfway during installation of the drivers the screen will go black, the audio on the computer glitches out and the computer reboots.
After rebooting the card will likely go into a boot loop until I unplug it, go in on integrated graphics and use DDU and Device Manager to completely uninstall the device.

*I'm currently trying to get the RX to work as it's a superior card to the GTX but the same problem happened on it when I was still trying to set it up about a month ago when I got it all the way to last week.

Things I've Tried:
  • Unplugging and replugging RAM.
  • Installing older drivers
  • Installing drivers through GeForce Experience
  • Installing custom driver package with only the graphics driver itself selected
  • Searched for UPLS in regedit to disable it (Couldn't find anything)
Things I think it probably isnt:
  • Bios. Its the latest I could find.
  • The cards being broken. This is happened on multiple cards one of which is brand new and the other my friend was using up until now.
  • Not enough power. My power supply is a 500W and even though thats the minimum for the RX the GTX only has a recommended PSU wattage of 400W
I'd very much appreciate your help with this, I've been at this for quite a while now and I just like to be able to use my graphics card.

UPDATE and SOLUTION:

I took my computer to a computer shop and they diagnosed that my hard drive was either failing or my windows was corrupted. I solved this problem by buying and installing a new hard drive and a new copy of windows 10.

Last edited: