[SOLVED] (Solved) My Shift + 9 not working what could it be?

May 13, 2019
So I had a Logitech keyboard and when I hit Shift + 9 to get the little bracket. Nothing happens. I thought my keyboard had a little hiccup and it didn't work. If I hit Shift with any other key it works fine. If I hit 9 it works fine. Also, it doesn't matter if I hit the left or right shift it just doesn't work. So after a week or two with this, I finally got a new keyboard and put it in. Well, it's doing the same thing. So now I looked all over the internet for answers and found nothing. Thanks for reading all this.

Solution
So I just did a clean install. I have multiple backups as I'm one paranoid SOB. It took about 5 mins. it's working now.
Thank you, everyone, for trying to help. But seems like a clean install worked.
May 13, 2019
Hey, thanks for the quick reply. All other keyboard functions work just fine. I tried everything from removing all the hardware + drivers from both my keyboard side and mouse side. as they both can macros. still nothing. so I'm kinda lost. I am able to use a macro on my Logitech to make the bracket. and that's what I used thinking my keyboard was broke.

Colif

Win 11 Master
clean boot doesn't equal a clean install. Clean boot just stops extra things loading at startup, it won't stop drivers

clean install is like last step as no one wants to go through all that and find it didn't help.

op could try safe mods as well and see if it is the same there. would tell him if its a driver issue

safe mode
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
Windows will restart in windows recovery mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

open notepad and see if it works now. This will tell you if its a driver or not.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Hey, thank you for getting back to me.
I did the safe mode and it seems to work. Now I went ahead and uninstalled all the Logitech stuff on my computer and keyboard drivers to let them reinstall themselves. still not working. not sure if there is a direct way to uninstall the drivers

D

Deleted member 14196

i would clean install windows and don't use anything but the drivers windows puts on, just like I do with my Razer kb and mouse.

Colif

Win 11 Master
love you people who think its no big deal to blow everything away and start again

Easier to do a reset if you going to go that far as at least you don't lose everything except applications, can still keep all your login info and documents, pictures, music, etc.

So does keyboard use logitech gaming software or is it just a normal logitech kb? second type using windows drivers mostly

try doing a clean boot and see if its another startup program causing it - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

D

Deleted member 14196

well, all my docs are in onedrive on an external hdd and in cloud. resets don't work very well in my experience, clean install takes 8 minutes on my notebook if anything goes wrong. I never lose anything. beats looking through a haystack for a needle.

but then again, I am never here with a problem. all my stuff works. and it works for a reason, the way I install and use the pc. I had to reinstall windows 10 once on notebook because my wifi out of the box could not stay connected and resets and nothing else would make it work.

D

Deleted member 14196

So I just did a clean install. I have multiple backups as I'm one paranoid SOB. It took about 5 mins. it's working now.
Thank you, everyone, for trying to help. But seems like a clean install worked.
this.... when you are faced with finding one TINY problem and have to sink in hours of testing, it's ALWAYS faster to reinstall windows. 30+ yrs Experience has taught me thus, and I live by it.

had this been a server install, yes, I would spend more time doing all the rule-out tests before a wipe, of course. but for home machines that are all backed up, why bother?

Colif

Win 11 Master
not everyone has backups, so I generally try to avoid clean installs and not everyone wants to start again.

It worked this time, so you were right.

My last 2 clean installs were to fix problems that still existed after the install. Both ended up being peripherals. So clean install isn't a magic bullet

D

Deleted member 14196

i totally get you. at work and with customers, we can't just wipe.... but from my experience with these types of errors, like especially the keyboard funky stuff, I have rarely been able to pinpoint the exact cause, like with my disconnecting wifi. no matter how many times I uninstalls drivers and stuff, it didn't matter. i don't usually just come out and say wipe it unless I really think it would help. thanks.

May 13, 2019
this.... when you are faced with finding one TINY problem and have to sink in hours of testing, it's ALWAYS faster to reinstall windows. 30+ yrs Experience has taught me thus, and I live by it.

had this been a server install, yes, I would spend more time doing all the rule-out tests before a wipe, of course. but for home machines that are all backed up, why bother?

not everyone has backups, so I generally try to avoid clean installs and not everyone wants to start again.

It worked this time, so you were right.

My last 2 clean installs were to fix problems that still existed after the install. Both ended up being peripherals. So clean install isn't a magic bullet

Yall need to shut the fuck up. this isn't a war to see whose dick is bigger. problem was solved. I wanted to see if there were other problems with my system. I could have easily gone the install route at the start.
I said thank you for your help now case closed.

D

Deleted member 14196

you can mark your thread as solved by choosing the best answer (you can even choose your answer!) by the way. I am not at war, or even mad at all bro... chill. glad you got it working. my avatar looks mad, but it's just resting bi#ch face