[Solved]New 1080ti not displaying through DisplayPort to Dell 4k monitor

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Sorry for the extreme post here, have a TLDR if you don't have the time.

Drivers are up to date. The DisplayPorts are not working on my main monitor. Main monitor is only working with HDMI. BIOS won't show up on my main monitor unless I have it plugged in VIA HDMI and it is the only monitor plugged in. My HDMI is only 30hz, so I really need to get the DisplayPorts working. My cheapest and worst monitor works fine with a DisplayPort on the 1080ti to VGA adapter. Yes I am choosing the correct input on my main monitor, I have tried all 3 DP/MDP/HDMI and only HDMI works. I have tried both of the DPs on the 1080ti, they both work with the cheap VGA adapter/monitor, but not neither work with my main Dell 4k Monitor. This monitor worked fine with the same DP cable on my GTX 980

Ok, this one has me really perplexed. I have built around 6 PCs before, and never really had any problems. Today I upgraded my motherboard, video card, RAM, and CPU.

The parts are as follows:

Asus Maximus Hero IX
Asus ROG GTX 1080ti OC
Intel i7 7700k
G.SKILL Trident DDR4 4133mhz
Dell 2715q 4k Monitor (had this awhile, it has always worked fine.)

Now, I have 3 monitors, when I booted up, I wanted to simplify it, so I had my main monitor plugged in all by itself VIA the first DisplayPort. The system booted, but no bios or any video on the monitor. Commence the freak out.

After about 10 minutes of checking for error codes and whatnot, I decided to plug in all of my monitors and see if the BIOS was showing up on any of them. Sure enough it did. It showed up on my cheapest and smallest monitor that I have plugged in through a DisplayPort to VGA adapter. So, knowing that that particular DisplayPort on my 1080ti must be working, I unplugged all my monitors and plugged my main monitor back into that DisplayPort. Again, no video/BIOS. I start googling, and I find some posts saying that after Windows is installed, the BIOS will then choose your main monitor through whatever you have as your default Windows monitor. So I set up the BIOS and install Windows using my crappy tiny monitor.

Once Windows was installed, I go download the newest 1080ti drivers and installed them. Restarted, and went to look at the multiple display settings. Only one monitor detected, the small one I've been using. I plug my 3rd "monitor" in, which is a Vizio 4k 50" TV VIA an HDMI port, and it is immediately detected, and works. So my main Dell 4k monitor has 3 inputs. DisplayPort, MiniDisplayPort, and HDMI. I try the Mini DisplayPort thinking maybe the the regular DP cable got messed up when I was plugging it in or something. No display. Finally I try the HDMI cable, and it works. I have a display on my main monitor. YES, I am choosing the correct input on my monitor when trying the different cables.

This however is not a good solution, I would much rather have my monitor go through my DisplayPort as my HDMI connection is locked at 30hz.

BIOS is up to date. All relevant drivers are up to date.

To really simplify this...Forget I have 3 monitors. Pretend I have one, the Dell 4k. It only works with HDMI and neither of the DP/MDP ports. This is in Windows and the BIOS. Yes, the correct input is selected on my Dell 4k.

I am tearing my hair out here, any ideas??

Solution
Ok, just wanted to check. Seems almost a common issue with that monitor though. Regarding warranty, I had to return a defective Dell monitor years back, and it was a relatively painless process. They covered shipping as well.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I don't see how that can be a problem, but its a Corsair HX1000W Modular Power Supply.

Both PCI-Express power cables are connected.

And like I said, all of the ports work, just not with my primary monitor. Both DP cables work with my cheap monitor with a VGA adapter.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Just a small update to this....

I uninstalled my GTX 1080ti and reinstalled my GTX 980 from my last build and again, The DisplayPorts will not send video to my Dell 2715g 4k Monitor. Only works through HDMI.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

I would assume these are the cables that came with the monitor, because I wouldn't know where else I would have got them. But the cable I was using with last build doesn't work on my new build. I bought another DP cable last night and it didn't work either.

Where would these MST settings be? I don't see anything like that?

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Ok, another update.

Pretty sure the MiniDisplayPort and Normal DisplayPort must have died when hooking it up to the new build. No clue how that could have happened.

I think I know this because I did something kinda desperate. I took my old motherboard, which still had the old ram/cpu, etc....Hooked it up to my PSU, stuck the old GTX 980 on it, and.....

Only the HDMI port showed the BIOS.

I still wish I had just one more device with a DisplayPort, but I do not, so I can't test it. Might try to get on the phone with dell and see what the warranty looks like, because this monitor is only a little over a year old.

Also, I am fairly sure an HDMI 2.0 cord will still not stream 4k@60hz...The HDMI port on the monitor must be a 1.4 or something.

Ugh...

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

The link worked fine.

Yeah, I tried to set it to DP 1.1 mode, but it still had no signal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts