[Solved] New build won't POST

tvguide123

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Hey guys I just finished building a new gaming PC for my friend, but for some reason it won't post (the monitor light remains orange). I was wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to what the problem might be. First of all the specs are:

Intel i5 750
Powercolor 5850
Gigabyte P55-UD3R
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
OCZ OCZ3P1333LV4GK 4GB DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

When I turn on the computer all of the case fans, video card, and cpu fans start spinning. Plus all of the phase LED lights light up even though I'm not sure what that means. However no matter how long I wait, there is not output signal to the monitor. I've put the video card in another computer so I know that that is not the problem.

Also does anyone know if these new motherboards beep? I tried booting the computer without any RAM and it made no beeping noises.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
try only more time to remove the 8-pin or 60pin from the video card and start it... it should beep... if it didn't beep then I assume it's the motherboard.

I only did one build so am really not that expert but... the mobo you got is a new one and it should do the beeping.

tvguide123

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Thanks jitpublisher. During the build I assumed the the DIMM slot closest to CPU would be the 1st slot since that is the only way I've ever seen it. But turns out i was using the wrong slots. Once i moved the DIMMs over it booted up just fine!

You are welcome, I am glad it was something simple and you got it corrected.
However, you really should not have had problems booting just because the RAM was in one set of slots or the other. Go into the BIOS and make sure the ram is running at the correct timings, and especailly the correct voltage. Your friend may experience lockups or problems later if these settings are wrong!