Question [Solved]New computer has weird issue with games crashing shortly after launch with no error messages.

Sep 27, 2023
Hey.

So I've just built a new PC but when I try to play games they work for a bit, 2-5 minutes, before crashing to desktop with no error messages. I've ran Prime95, Furmark, Heaven and Memtest and everything seems fine with no crashes or bluescreens and Memtest didn't find any errors either. The only 2 things in this new build that I brought over from the old was 2 SSDs, one 2.5" system drive and one m.2 game drive both which worked fine in the old rig yesterday. I upgraded to Win 11 aswell with the new setup.

So far I've tried the M.2 in all 4 slots and it's currently in Slot 1 which is one with direct link to the CPU rather than to go through the chipset. I've tested both my new, RTX 4070 TI, and old, RTX 2070 Super, GPUs and the problem presists with both of them. I have flashed my BIOS to the second latest one, the latest BIOS caused me to get a MEMORY_MANGMET bluescreen and Memtest was spitting out errors like a machine gun. I've tried different settings for my Ram with no luck. Wiping the game drive and reinstalling Steam and Games.

Specs are
  • Intel Core I5 13600K - Noctua NH-U12A Chromax Black for cooling.
  • ASRock Z790 Pro RS.
  • Kingston 32GB FURY Beast 6000MHz 32GB(2x16) CL36 - Currenly running in 4400, won't boot in any of the XMP Profiles.
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB Windforce OC.
  • Seasonic Vertex GX 1000W.
  • Samsung SSD Basic 840 - 120GB as Boot drive.
  • Intel 660p 1TB as Games drive.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Hey.

So I've just built a new PC but when I try to play games they work for a bit, 2-5 minutes, before crashing to desktop with no error messages. I've ran Prime95, Furmark, Heaven and Memtest and everything seems fine with no crashes or bluescreens and Memtest didn't find any errors either. The only 2 things in this new build that I brought over from the old was 2 SSDs, one 2.5" system drive and one m.2 game drive both which worked fine in the old rig yesterday. I upgraded to Win 11 aswell with the new setup.

So far I've tried the M.2 in all 4 slots and it's currently in Slot 1 which is one with direct link to the CPU rather than to go through the chipset. I've tested both my new, RTX 4070 TI, and old, RTX 2070 Super, GPUs and the problem presists with both of them. I have flashed my BIOS to the second latest one, the latest BIOS caused me to get a MEMORY_MANGMET bluescreen and Memtest was spitting out errors like a machine gun. I've tried different settings for my Ram with no luck. Wiping the game drive and reinstalling Steam and Games.

Specs are
  • Intel Core I5 13600K - Noctua NH-U12A Chromax Black for cooling.
  • ASRock Z790 Pro RS.
  • Kingston 32GB FURY Beast 6000MHz 32GB(2x16) CL36 - Currenly running in 4400, won't boot in any of the XMP Profiles.
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB Windforce OC.
  • Seasonic Vertex GX 1000W.
  • Samsung SSD Basic 840 - 120GB as Boot drive.
  • Intel 660p 1TB as Games drive.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
Did you try completely scrubbing out the video drivers and reloading them with the latest version? I know you tried multiple cards but something could still be hanging in them when you launch the games.

Also disable any overlays, screen grabbers, capture apps, etc. and even your AV (if you have any) before launching into a game and see if that makes any difference. Something is triggering them to exit out.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 27, 2023
Did you try completely scrubbing out the video drivers and reloading them with the latest version? I know you tried multiple cards but something could still be hanging in them when you launch the games.

Also disable any overlays, screen grabbers, capture apps, etc. and even your AV (if you have any) before launching into a game and see if that makes any difference. Something is triggering them to exit out.
Was just about to go nuclear option and wipe every drive and fresh install of windows but saw your response so ran Revo Uninstaller and removed everything nVidia related, downloaded the latest Drivers and installed them after a reboot which seems to have worked, did a quick test in Cyberpunk and I could play longer than before and even fast travel without crashing. Going to try a longer session now and see if it is fixed 100%.

I had not done that and I wouldn't have thought of it either since I've never had problems with swapping GPUs of the same brand without clearing the drivers!

Edit: NVM just booted up Cyberpunk again and it insta crashed.

Was just about to go nuclear option and wipe every drive and fresh install of windows but saw your response so ran Revo Uninstaller and removed everything nVidia related, downloaded the latest Drivers and installed them after a reboot which seems to have worked, did a quick test in Cyberpunk and I could play longer than before and even fast travel without crashing. Going to try a longer session now and see if it is fixed 100%.

I had not done that and I wouldn't have thought of it either since I've never had problems with swapping GPUs of the same brand without clearing the drivers!

Edit: NVM just booted up Cyberpunk again and it insta crashed.
Try loading just the drivers and no additional software. There was a nVidia overlay that used to cause issues like crazy. I wonder if this is causing issues here.

EDIT: Also make sure you're not running anything like OverWolf, etc.

Sep 27, 2023
Try loading just the drivers and no additional software. There was a nVidia overlay that used to cause issues like crazy. I wonder if this is causing issues here.

EDIT: Also make sure you're not running anything like OverWolf, etc.

I found crash reports for Cyberpunk, hidden folder in appdata like why?, which showed an errorcode and after some searching I found that it seems to be linked to XMP/Overclocked memory so changed clock to 3600 and now it seems to work. Tested Cyberpunk, Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3 and none has had any issues after 30 minutes of runtime.

I found crash reports for Cyberpunk, hidden folder in appdata like why?, which showed an errorcode and after some searching I found that it seems to be linked to XMP/Overclocked memory so changed clock to 3600 and now it seems to work. Tested Cyberpunk, Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3 and none has had any issues after 30 minutes of runtime.
Awesome, since the issue appears to be solved go ahead and mark it solved so we can help others and in case someone else has similar issues they will see it as a solution.