[SOLVED] [SOLVED] New PC slowly becomes unresponsive in a strange way after closing games

Jan 19, 2020
I recently built a new rig, and all parts work up to their expectations after trying multiple benchmarks. It works great - when it works. An issue has kept persisting and I can't pinpoint the cause.

It started while using my PC for a couple of hours. A weird phenomenon would occur where one by one, each application would seem to be working, but were unresponsive. For example, the open YouTube video would still be playing back well, but I could not close or adjust the chrome tab. I would then be unable to open, close or move any application as they run. And then, the start button would do nothing. Nothing seemed laggy, my mouse would respond to my movements well, until the PC was finally frozen altogether. I would have no choice but to hold the power button.

After trying to find out what would cause this to start, I finally discovered a pattern. After playing a game for >30 minutes and then closing it, the problem would occur the most. No matter what game, from easy to run games to graphically intensive games. This problem has never occurred while a game was open.

Thought it was a thermal problem with my CPU. It does idle at 50c. But looking online, this is just normal temperature for the CPU, and other owners of the same CPU don't seem to have the problems that my PC have. Reapplied thermal paste anyways to be sure.

Don't know where to start with this. A display issue? SSD sits at 63c, could that be an issue? Reinstall windows entirely? Dunno, hope someone has an idea.

Specifications
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x, stock speeds
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF X570-Plus
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Super
RAM: Trident Z 2x16GB 3200Mhz
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz, via DP
AOC U2790VQ, via DP
Sceptre C325-W, via HDMI
PSU: CORSAIR RMx 850w 80+ Gold

Last edited:
Solution
SOLVED
Uninstalled Razor Cortex and the problem does not occur anymore. Don't know why it made my PC act so strange. It must have been doing some crazy weird optimization. PC works great.

Ralston18

Titan
Just for the record: PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Boot the computer as usual.

Open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager. Just one or the other - not both at the same time.

Leave the window open but drag to one side.

Just watch for awhile, then do some light work/browsing, then game as usual.

Watch what your system is doing, what apps are running, what resources are being used.

Then change over to the other tool. Repeat.

Good chance that you be able to identify the culprit.

Reactions: LeighPing
Jan 19, 2020
Edited the post and added the power supply. Ram is 2x16. All parts are brand new and shipped in December, appear to be in perfect condition.

-Disable hardware acceleration in the browser.
I've disabled it and will see if the problem still persists, though I originally enabled it because chrome was not in 144hz.

-Running a fresh install of Windows, or did you carry/clone from an older build?
Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro from a thumb drive. If it's relevant, the installation failed and was stuck in a boot loop. Had to use a tutorial to fix that.

-Gpu temps in game?
Temperatures did not exceed 75C in For Honor at ultra settings

Boot the computer as usual.

Open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager. Just one or the other - not both at the same time.

Leave the window open but drag to one side.

Just watch for awhile, then do some light work/browsing, then game as usual.

Watch what your system is doing, what apps are running, what resources are being used.

Then change over to the other tool. Repeat.

Good chance that you be able to identify the culprit.
Ok, I'll try out resource monitor and update if I can get it to happen again.

UPDATE: Turns out that resource monitor and task manager just simply stop updating. It's like it's frozen, but it's not. Can still switch between tabs like Processes, Performance, App History, but the graphs and percentages do not move anymore. GPU usage just sits at -1%. Strange.

I am going to go see if it's a problem with Razer Cortex and come back.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
SOLVED
Uninstalled Razor Cortex and the problem does not occur anymore. Don't know why it made my PC act so strange. It must have been doing some crazy weird optimization. PC works great.

Solution