[SOLVED] [Solved] Nvidia 2070 while gaming strange artifact now no GUI

Jul 23, 2019
Hi,
So I was playing CS:GO on Debian buster and suddenly there was strange artifacts in my screen, so I had to hard rest now it passes post screen and it also starts loading the Linux when it's time to start GDM it just won't, and it gives the beep listed bellow in YouTube video.
Any idea what that beep means . Before I take apart the computer It would be helpful to know which part is having problem, hope it's not GPU, it's like brand new.

Spec Sheet
--------------------------------------------------
DE: Gnome/NVIDIA Proprietary
--------------------------------------------------
CPU: Ryzen 1600x
RAM: 16GB (8x2) - F4-3200C16-8GVKB
MB: ASUS ROG b350-f
NVIDIA Driver Version: 418.74
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 8GB
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO Series 520W Modular

Before Debian i had used arch the same problem occurred but after fully powering down the machine (making sure power is fully off) powering back on fixed it. but now this is not fixing it.
I am hearing i think 11 beeps then 11 beeps then 4.

Space Invader Artifact (the crash)
After Crash Current PC problem (Video)

Last edited:
Solution
Marking it as solved.
New Board, CPU and PSU same problem with GPU. Even though it works with fm2+ Processor and board. I have RMA'ed the GPU.
Jul 23, 2019
We're going to need to know the model for your Seasonic PSU. If it's been recycled from an older computer, how old is it?
It's almost 2 yesra old, it was used in my previous build so I took it to new build..
PSU - M12(11) Bronze Evo edition
I am trying to flash older bios as I have doubt it's 11 beep, I did update bios lately. Will update if that works

Jul 23, 2019
That didn't work.
So tried out few things.
I reverted back one bios version, problem still persist, I remove Nvidia driver and still problem persist. I booted up popos 19.10 with Nvidia driver still the problem persist, this is looking more and more like a hardware problem.
While investigating that artifact problem, others have detected this in rtx 2080 ti with maxwell memory controller, as far I could tell it is related to memory getting hot and frying chip inside, over at my place we had hottest summer and this card was fine, never found any high temp with this gpu, and now it's monsoon and kinda cold and humid this happened now.

If psu is the problem here I would happy I am planning to upgrade anyways, but need to be sure. If I plug in a second psu just to power the graphic card rest of the system with Seasonic one will that be a problem?, it's a kinda compact system I don't want to remove everything out just yet.
I can get into terminal if any logs needed let me know, also from terminal if I do startx same thing happens.
Next trying fedora with nouveau driver as 2070 is not that well supported in other distros

Jul 23, 2019
It started to work again. Strange. Kernel logs or hardware related logs have nothing now(aprat from tainted kernel module, which is normal). When it crashed it said i believe "gpu-0 cannot be found unloading module".
So maybe PSU ? .. Will know when i upgrade by next week.

Jul 23, 2019
Week later, same thing happened, now it won't start graphics with Nvidia proprietary driver, nouveau works.

When I back tracked little back I had same "no graphic" problem with same config with rx 460, but difference was rx460 won't show even bios screen.

Now I am doubting everything now.

From day one of my ryzen I had problem,
https://community.amd.com/thread/216084
The above link problem was a common occurance, I didn't RMA because from where I am from RMA would take more than a month they say 2 weeks but nope it take more than month.

I am from a really humid place close to sea,and motherboard available locally do advertise protection for humid conditions

SMPS I am doubting if that the problem.

Ram I am doubting that also.

I have a fm2+ board and processor available I can check gpu with that . Now need to troubleshoot each hardware, if motherbord or cpu is the culprit I will rma and sell this off and buy an Intel based system(not value for money but I had it with ryzen )

How do I close this post?

Jul 23, 2019
Just read the Tom's hardware artical about PSU, that gave a lot of information what to look for in a new PSU. I am going with

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...its-Advanced/Vengeance-Series/p/CP-9020176-NA

Although this model is not listed in the recommendations, seems to be a good PSU from a reputed brand.

I have ordered a R5 3600 also, this is for an office build I can swap these to check if processor is also having problem. More I read more it looks like PSU problem my Seasonic was an older model which doesn't support cstate6 and above although cstate6 I s disabled in bios. will keep this post updated with my findings.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019
Update With Finding - Pretty sure its a bios problem.

Linux Only - Havnt tried windows

Bios -5008 is terrible for GPU
Bios i was Before - 4602 This was okay no GPU problem, After 5008 update cant revert to 4620 ezflash wont allow.
Bios - 4801(published same date as 5008) added Next gen CPU support - i can revert to this, GPU works fine but crash happens with artifacts, after CMOS clear works fine again

Took the GPU and PSU to another Ryzen Rog b350-f system which bios is 4207 no problem what so ever.

I tried to revert back bios, using ami bios update tool with free-dos didn't work as it says bios size mismatch with existing bios.

I am planning to buy X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI mainly because of quality of service offered locally. CPU i am going with 3600(Need to update BIOS). In gigabyte website its says.

F40(Bios)
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
I need windows to use EC FW Update Tool.

This is getting intense. As said earlier Intel would been a better option.

Jul 23, 2019
Marking it as solved.
New Board, CPU and PSU same problem with GPU. Even though it works with fm2+ Processor and board. I have RMA'ed the GPU.

Solution