[SOLVED] P8Z68-V LX, high pitched noise coming from motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgfield

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hoping someone here can solve this very annoying problem.

Recently built a new machine with the help of a friend, included an ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard. Since day one there's been a high pitched "EEEEEE" noise that sounds like it's coming from the processor (it's not, I got a replacement for the processor and the noise continues). The noise generally doesn't occur during bootup - only once Windows is running. And the noise also doesn't appear to be quite as noticeable when games are running (and not because of the volume, I'd turn that down and still notice the noise less).

Anyone experience a similar problem? I'd reeeally hate to have to go get my motherboard replaced and install it all over again. Is there perhaps a setting in my bios I can change to reduce the sound?

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
The P8Z68 has no noisy components at all. It must come from the CPU fan.

Could be a problem with the MOBO PWM which commands the CPU fan to run at full speed all the time. Try using a fan controller and see what you get, or connecting the fan to the other CPU_FAN on your mobo.

bgfield

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Nope, not the fan. I tried starting the PC with the fan completely unplugged and the noise was still there. It's not any of the other fans, because I tried unplugging those as well. It's not the video card; I swapped that out. It's not the hard drive because, well, the sound just clearly isn't coming from the hard drive. It's definitely something on the motherboard.

This can happen in 3-pin CPU fans, if it's 3-pin then move it to the CHA_FAN header. Otherwise Disable Q-Fan in the BIOS.

Q - What HSF?

Also, make certain if it's 3-pin that you're connections are correct; see -> http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_(CPU)_4_Pin_Fan
Connector_mbfanpwm_3to4pin.png

Otherwise see:
image19cr.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS