[Solved]PC keeps turning on and off

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi all,
I built a partially new system yesterday. It was running fine and all until I got a call from my brother today. He told me it wasn't starting and while on the phone he said it started up after 6 cycles of turning on and off. Afterwards he put it to sleep and went to eat lunch and he came back to wake it up and it just turned on and off.

So basically when I press the power button the system starts up for 1-2 seconds then shuts down. It keeps on doing this repeatedly. It doesn't even POST. The only things I did in the BIOS was disable some options like C1E and EIST etc. If this helps, the Phase lights are the only thing that light up.

My specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Ram: 2x2gb Kingston DDR3
CPU: i7 2600K
CPU cooler (If this matters): Prolimatech Megahalems
GPU: Gigabyte HD5870

What I've tried:
-Took the components out of the case and put it on a corkboard and manually tried to start it with a screwdriver on the power pins.

*edit*
Clearing CMOS fixed it.

-Took out everything except CPU and ram and tried to start

-Tried single ram in each socket with CPU

All the things I've tried above still make it turn on and off. My PSU is only like 8 months old has only been used maximum around 100 hours.

I'm all out of ideas so if anyone can help me it would be really really appreciated!

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Okay well I didn't think reseating the battery would've been the resolution. I'm reassembling everything inside the case and will write back to see if the problem was a bad BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS