Question [SOLVED] PC not giving output after cleaning

SloLlo

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
Hey guys, I could really use some help right now.

I recently opened up my PC to clean its insides after a pretty long time. It was working fine before, but I saw cobwebs hanging inside so I decided that it was high time I cleaned up. I opened up the case, cleaned all the components, including the CPU cooler and had even removed the CPU to clean the edges of the holder as it had a major dust development. I re-attached everything, including the RAM (I removed it for access purposes) and checked twice for any loose connections.
When I finally fired her up, it seemed to be getting up and running (can hear and see the CPU fans running) and the indicator on the motherboard is okay too. But somehow, there seems to be no output. I'm using VGA though, if that helps.

The specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Asus H170-Pro
RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz
Processor: Intel i5-6400

EDIT: There seems to be no issues with the VGA or HDMI ports as such (tried both of them), I think that there is simply no video output

EDIT: Now solved! Apparantly, resetting the CMOS by removing the battery, draining all the residual power and changing the RAM slot from A1 to B2 solved the issue and the PC seems to be working fine now. I'm hoping that using a different RAM slot won't put any major performance issues on the system. I will be re-applying the Thermal Paste soon, as recommended by @rgd1101

Last edited:

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Hey guys, I could really use some help right now.

I recently opened up my PC to clean its insides after a pretty long time. It was working fine before, but I saw cobwebs hanging inside so I decided that it was high time I cleaned up. I opened up the case, cleaned all the components, including the CPU cooler and had even removed the CPU to clean the edges of the holder as it had a major dust development. I re-attached everything, including the RAM (I removed it for access purposes) and checked twice for any loose connections.
When I finally fired her up, it seemed to be getting up and running (can hear and see the CPU fans running) and the indicator on the motherboard is okay too. But somehow, there seems to be no output. I'm using VGA though, if that helps.

The specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Asus H170-Pro
RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz
Processor: Intel i5-6400
Even though it doesn't show any display can you still hear windows booting up? does the num lock light up on the keyboard?