Apr 13, 2021
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Mobo: ASRock X470 Master SLI
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GVK
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1, 80+ GOLD

Summary
My gaming computer has been pretty much rock steady since I put it together in 2018 but in the last few days it has started randomly restarting (no BOSD, full instant crash and restart) while gaming. Sometimes immediately, sometime after 15-20 minutes.

Recent History
I have been running Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings (except only low ray tracing) successfully since January. In March I did notice a few random restarts, but chalked them up to the game. But now it crashes constantly even playing much less intense games like Tabletop Simulator and Stellaris.

What I've tried
  • Blowing out dust from the CPU cooler with compressed air + cleaning the intake filters
  • Memtest86 - No errors, ran for 2 hours 4 cycles no problem
  • Prime95 - By itself ran tonight for a hour without issue (will try running overnight) - CPU Tdie temp at ~82 C in HWInfo (with case side ON)
    • Overnight run 8 hours no issues - temp 53 C Tdie with case side open
  • Furmark - Ran for about 40 minutes until I stopped it - GPU temp at ~ 75C ("Hotspot" temp at ~85 C?)
  • Furmark + P95... mixed results:
    • When I start Furmark first, then added P95... it ran for about 10 minutes then stopped it to try reverse order...
    • P95 first then add Furmark = instant restart
    • Then tried a restart to try Furmark first = instant restart
  • OCCT - VRAM test of 88% memory - GPU temp 57 C - No errors after 1 hour
  • OCCT - GPU test - GPU temp 75 C - No errors after 1 hour
I have upgraded the RTX drivers to the latest release to no avail.

I have gone ahead and ordered some new thermal paste and an addition case fan in case CPU temps and general temps are an issue (I wanted to add another fan to my case anyway to get to positive pressure.

In reading a few other posts I've seen some folks be concerned potentially about PSUs when there are random restarts. Any suggestions on how to test or isolate that?

UPDATE - 2021-04-14

I definitely think the issue is the PSU

Things I tested

Upgraded the BIOS to P3.4 (last recommended version for Pinnacle CPUs) - No effect
I started using 3DMark instead of Furmark. It would hard reset in the first 2 minutes of the first test :-(

BUT I swapped in my old Corsair 650W and 3DMark runs like a champ no errors at all!

So, I guess it is time to RMA the EVGA PSU?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021
More test results... this are not reproducing the error.
  • OCCT - VRAM test of 88% memory - GPU temp 57 C - No errors after 1 hour
  • OCCT - GPU test - GPU temp 75 C - No errors after 1 hour
  • OCCT - PSU test - 40 minutes and counting no restart - CPU and GPU maxed. GPU 77C and CPU 72C

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021
But... Furmark is again causing it to instantly reboot... first it ran for about 8 minutes then rebooted. Then I tried to start it again and it instantly rebooted.

Apr 13, 2021
Updates!

-
Updating the BIOS didn't help, but now I'm on a recent version.

What has been promising was swapping in my old Corsair TX650W PSU. I had tested using 3dMark and it would crash partway through the first pass and now is running just fine!

So, it appears PSU may be the culprit here.