[SOLVED] [SOLVED] PC suddenly wont boot

Jan 2, 2022
Hello everyone

I am in need of assistance with a problem with my PC. The computer is a custom build that I have assembled myself, and its about 3 years old. It has been working flawlessly up until today, and I cannot figure out what is wrong with it, hence this post. Last time it was working fine was yesterday.

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX 470-f gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7
RAM: 2 sticks Corsair (2x8gb)
HDD: Samsung SSD
GPU: GeForce gtx 1080 ASUS ROG STRIX
PSU: Corsair VS650 (650w)

When I press the power button on the cabinet the PC does not power on. The motherboard has a standby LED that is lit, and it has some multi-color-light that changes color to make it look fancy. Also just beside the PSU connection on the GPU there is some white lights indicating the GPU has power (They become red if the power calbe is disconnected). So the board seems to get some power at least.

The system reacts differently the first time it is powered on (PSU switch turned on), than subsequent attempts to power the system. The first press on the power button results in a quick (less than half a second) lighting of some white LEDs on the GPU and a little twitch from the GPU fans. After this pressing the power button does not seem to have any effect. Apart from the short twitch of the GPU fan no other system fans are running. The system is just silent and cannot boot, not even into the BIOS.

What I have tried so far:
  • Dismounted/Remount of components (CPU + cooler, GPU, RAM)
  • Checked all PSU connections
  • Swapped power/reset buttons to check for dead power button connection
  • Tried to clear the CMOS and replace the battery
  • Tried a different AC Mains outlet in the house.
  • Disconnected all USB devices
  • Booting with just 1 ram stick (both of them)
  • Checked nothing smelled burned
My intuition tells me its the motherboard that has gone bad, but i guess it could be the CPU/PSU aswell. Anyone got any ideas ?

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like your motherboard is shutting itself down immediately to prevent damage. According to your motherboards product page it has built in fuses to prevent damage to anything plugged into the board.

Overcurrent Protection:
Onboard re-settable fuses protect all connection ports and DRAM modules against over-current and short-circuit damage, extending the lifespan of your motherboard.
It sounds like your motherboard is shutting itself down immediately to prevent damage. According to your motherboards product page it has built in fuses to prevent damage to anything plugged into the board.

Overcurrent Protection:
Onboard re-settable fuses protect all connection ports and DRAM modules against over-current and short-circuit damage, extending the lifespan of your motherboard.

Reactions: sorenpa
Solution
Jan 2, 2022
Thank you fir the reply rocktalkrock. It helped me solve the problem. Made me suspect the PSU as the most likely cause of the problem.

So I went to the HW store and picked up a new PSU. After installing it, the system booted just fine once more.

Reactions: rocktalkrock