Question (SOLVED) PC will not stay asleep/hibernated after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2023
Hello. I just upgraded my PC with a new CPU, mobo, GPU, PSU, new SSD for my OS, and some various other doodads. As it was my first time ever performing work this invasive (on my own PC), I was pleasantly surprised everything booted up with no issues and I didn't burn my house down. Everything seems to be working great. However, my PC will no longer sleep or hibernate correctly. These items are enabled in my OS (Windows 10), but as soon as it reaches the "shut down" point of these states, it immediately boots back up. I don't have a deep understanding of these states, aside from knowing that it requires an input from my keyboard or the power button on my tower to bring the system back to an awake state.

I changed nothing with my OS with the upgrade - I cloned my old C: drive over to my new SSD so there shouldn't be anything there, but I am open to any solutions here.

How do I go about fixing this? I have looked in UEFI settings, and only found something about Aura, which I think only pertains to which LEDs stay on when the computer is off.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The first suggestion I make is to backup anything you wish to keep and perform a clean install to the new system hardware. Bringing over OS from different hardware can 'operate' (as you see) but often has bugs and issues of which I suspect you are also experiencing.

Congratulations on your first successful build.

Reactions: pubert
Feb 6, 2023
The first suggestion I make is to backup anything you wish to keep and perform a clean install to the new system hardware. Bringing over OS from different hardware can 'operate' (as you see) but often has bugs and issues of which I suspect you are also experiencing.

Congratulations on your first successful build.
Thanks so much. OK I will look into that. It appears there's a guide right here on Tom's Hardware. So when you say to back up anything important, does that only apply to my C: drive, where Windows does & will live, or any/all drives? I ask because I have auxiliary internal SSDs and an HDD with TBs of important stuff but don't have space for backups of those drives.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks so much. OK I will look into that. It appears there's a guide right here on Tom's Hardware. So when you say to back up anything important, does that only apply to my C: drive, where Windows does & will live, or any/all drives? I ask because I have auxiliary internal SSDs and an HDD with TBs of important stuff but don't have space for backups of those drives.

Yes, just C drive. I recommend disconnecting the other drives prior to the installation process and then connect them back when complete to avoid the installer trying to put some aspect of the install onto one of them.

Reactions: pubert
Feb 6, 2023
Yes, just C drive. I recommend disconnecting the other drives prior to the installation process and then connect them back when complete to avoid the installer trying to put some aspect of the install onto one of them.
As far as I can tell, a change that I made to BIOS/UEFI just before posting this seems to have resolved the issue. For any future readers:

In BIOS advanced settings, I searched for "sleep" and the only result was a setting for "AURA", with the options
  • All On
  • Stealth Mode
  • All Off?
  • [don't memba]?
I set it to Stealth Mode, and it will now stay hibernated/asleep. Outlined crudely in green in this image I found of a UEFI/BIOS similar to mine.

Appreciate your input though, and will note the clean install route for future issues.

Cheers,
Pube

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023
I just upgraded my PC with a new CPU, mobo, GPU, PSU, new SSD for my OS, and some various other doodads. My first time performing work this invasive (on my own PC) and I was pleasantly surprised everything booted up with no issues and I didn't burn my house down. Everything seems to be working great. However, my PC will no longer sleep or hibernate correctly. These items are enabled in my OS (Windows 10), but as soon as it reaches the "asleep/hibernating" point of these, it immediately boots back up. Like, right away, not after a few seconds, or minutes, but as soon as the LEDs go off, it boots back up. I don't have a deep understanding of these states, aside from knowing that it requires an input from my keyboard or the power button on my tower to bring the system back to an awake state.

I changed nothing with my OS with the upgrade - I cloned my old C: drive over to my new SSD so there shouldn't be anything there, but I am open to any solutions here.

How do I go about fixing this? I have looked in UEFI settings, and only found something about Aura, which I think only pertains to which LEDs stay on when the computer is off. I entered "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" into the command prompt, and the only device that is able to wake the computer is my keyboard, which is what I desire, but in reality I am not touching the keyboard at all when the issue occurs.

Please help!

Feb 6, 2023
Okay, so I actually solved it this time! Even though my keyboard was set to be the only device allowed to pull the PC from an asleep/hibernating state (per command prompt reply), my mouse was somehow registered as a KEYBOARD in Device Manager! And for some reason, even though I have only ever used one keyboard on this PC, four keyboard devices were registered, one of which was the mouse. So I uninstalled all devices until I found which was my actual keyboard, reinstalled that one, initialized my mouse as a mouse (somehow, IDK). And now it will stay asleep/hibernated. I think since optical mice are so sensitive, my computer was recognizing a slight movement of my mouse as a keyboard input and booting up. So.

TA-DAAA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS