Question [SOLVED]PC Won’t Display, CPU Fan not spinning

Apr 1, 2020
My PC was working just fine before this issue occurred. I had just added a new 500 GB SSD to my system (added, didn’t replace any other original drives) and when I went to boot my monitor wouldn’t display and my CPU fan (Dark Rock Pro 4) wouldn’t spin.

Now, I had this problem initially when I first built my PC about a month ago and the issue was that my MB bios weren’t updated to be compatible with my Ryzen 5 3600x and was fixed by being lucky enough to have a friend with a compatible Ryzen CPU to update my BIOS.

Also maybe it is worth noting my CPU fan had always started, stopped, then started spinning regularly after each startup.

I have unplugged the heatsink connector pin (and just about every other connection) and reconnected. I had found while doing so that rarely when the connector pin is just barely inserted the fan would sometimes spin normally. I’ve tried both CPU fan headers.

My case fans turn on normally (although seem to be louder/faster, I had updated both Heatsink fan and case fans to turbo mode in BIOS) as does the fan on my GPU. RGB lights on the case fans, on the motherboard, and on my keyboard and mouse all turn on. I have unplugged the newly added SSD sata and power connections in case it was pushing my 650W PSU over the edge (although probably not likely? Worth noting the power supply is old) Not sure what the issue is, any suggestions/tips?

Components
GTX 1070
Ryzen 5 3600x
Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Heatsink
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming
16 GB Ram

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
UPDATE:
I erased the RTC rams by shorting the two pins with a screw driver and my PC posted and loaded to BIOS and then I proceeded to Windows. Shut it off unplugged the power and reconnected the new SSD to the power supply and sata port. Repowered the system and tried to boot and CPU fan failed and monitor failed to display. Is this indicative of a PSU issue? Why did clearing the RTC RAM allow my system to boot?