Question SOLVED: performance drop after few minutes of gaming

Feb 23, 2019
hi, i recently upgraded my gpu from 1050 ti to 1080 ti, but im experiencing bad performance. when i start up a game it runs very smooth (above 80 fps on ultra 1440p), but after a few minutes there is a sudden fps drop to arround 30fps, and it stays like that until i restart my pc, then it goes back to normal (drops again after few minutes of gaming) . temps are looking fine, gpu gets to 65 under load and cpu to 75 under load.
both cpu and gpu are not throttling.

specs:
cpu: i7 4770k 3.9ghz
gpu: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme
motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER
ram: 10gb DDR3-1333 / PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM
power supply: corsair hx 1000i model: rps0004 (1000w)

things i have tried:
installing latest drivers after removing old ones with ddu
reinstalled windows (im using windows 10 btw)

would appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
Why dont you use Afterburner to see whats wrong?
i do use msi afterburner, i have added a screenshot of afterburner stats before and after the sudden fps drop. cpu and gpu temps are fine, clocks never go down.
worth mentioning: after the sudden fps drop gpu usage jumped to 99%, and cpu usage and temps seemed to drop a little.
this is far cry new dawn played at 1440p ultra settings

zKZRWu.png
WTWBOV.png

I highly doubt your system is too weak for that card, there shouldn't be the slowdown you are getting.
I am getting better FPS on a 1070 with an i7-2600k than you do.

I'd try using DDU to remove all drivers and reinstall from new - how it says to do it using DDU

Feb 23, 2019
I highly doubt your system is too weak for that card, there shouldn't be the slowdown you are getting.
I am getting better FPS on a 1070 with an i7-2600k than you do.

I'd try using DDU to remove all drivers and reinstall from new - how it says to do it using DDU
i have already tried using ddu in safe mode, didnt work

Feb 23, 2019
they are just normal hdd, i dont have ssd.
i have 2 - one tb drives , and 1- 500mb drive
2.5tb in total. i dont know the specific brand or model, does it matter?

One thing I have done in the past to try and eliminate problems, is reinstall Windows on a different hard disk, which proves if it was a Software issue or not.
Its quite drastic but its a known cure of if it hardware or software problem.
To do this, remove your main drive, install windows on a different drive with a USB.

I don't agree with it being a RAM thing, just because it's only just started to happen.

One thing you can do, is sweep your computer for MALWARE and also limit all the things that start when the computer starts, but I still recommend a temporary install of windows 10 on another drive would rule out hardware.

nick_v15

Prominent
BANNED
Jan 7, 2018
Try chkdsk and defrag your HDD(check both disk options).Also in virtual memory set your main drive in "system managed".Also clear cache.Finally use crystaldiskinfo to check its health.

Feb 23, 2019
update: i've just got a call from the store i bought the card from, and they confirmed that it was indeed faulty, and they are sending me a new one (same 1080 ti model). the card should arrive in a few days and i'll update again when it does.

TRENDING THREADS