[SOLVED] Solved: Poor graphics performance on lowest settings inquiry

Kamaaiana

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
SOLVED

Hello,

I have a MSI GS65 Stealth and when playing games I get output significantly less than what I expected to get.

Metal Gear V: The Phantom Pain is excruciatingly slow and Gears of War 5 is hovering at about 20fps and maxing out at about 25fps.

NVIDIA 2070-Q
Intel 9th Generation i7
32GB of RAM

I went in and made the high performance GPU the primary but absolutely no improvement.

Last edited:
Solution
I went in and made the high performance GPU the primary but absolutely no improvement.
^This is what I was going to ask, but you also need to make sure the power plan on your laptop is not set to Power Saving mode, which is the way a lot of them come for use with battery vs adapter. If it's set to Power Saving, it will throttle your CPU and GPU down to save power.

You can also check what frequency your CPU and GPU are running at while gaming by running MSI Afterburner in the background and setting any stats you want to see to show onscreen.
^This is what I was going to ask, but you also need to make sure the power plan on your laptop is not set to Power Saving mode, which is the way a lot of them come for use with battery vs adapter. If it's set to Power Saving, it will throttle your CPU and GPU down to save power.

You can also check what frequency your CPU and GPU are running at while gaming by running MSI Afterburner in the background and setting any stats you want to see to show onscreen.

Solution

Kamaaiana

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

When I first got the thing and only used it for installing my games and ripping my DVD's, it was on a power saving mode. Now it is on performance / high performance.

Kamaaiana

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
The 2070 is running right? I would try and download the latest driver for the card off the Nvidia website and see if anything changes.

Hey,
I will check the drivers and update them when I get home from work (the latest is about a third of the way downloaded) and hopefully that will make a further improvement.

In the meantime, playing around in the setting, you guys' suggestions were the jumping off point I needed to figure it out.

There were two settings that had an impact:
1 - MSI utility has a battery life extension option that can limit how high the battery can charge i.e. my battery is only charging to about 50% to maximize life span.
2 - The GPU and/or CPU were being throttled down if the battery was not at 100% instead of kicking on the fan to save battery for mobility, so I lowered this threshold to full usage when the battery is above 30% and BLAMMO!

Highest graphics settings, 30+fps averaging about 45 on Gears 5 (the latest game for PC I own) and the game is smooth.

Hey,
I will check the drivers and update them when I get home from work (the latest is about a third of the way downloaded) and hopefully that will make a further improvement.

In the meantime, playing around in the setting, you guys' suggestions were the jumping off point I needed to figure it out.

There were two settings that had an impact:
1 - MSI utility has a battery life extension option that can limit how high the battery can charge i.e. my battery is only charging to about 50% to maximize life span.
2 - The GPU and/or CPU were being throttled down if the battery was not at 100% instead of kicking on the fan to save battery for mobility, so I lowered this threshold to full usage when the battery is above 30% and BLAMMO!

Highest graphics settings, 30+fps averaging about 45 on Gears 5 (the latest game for PC I own) and the game is smooth.
Yeah it's really not advisable to do any gaming on the battery, unless they're old games with low resource use.

Kamaaiana

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Yeah it's really not advisable to do any gaming on the battery, unless they're old games with low resource use.

Frag Maniac,

I wasn't gaming on the battery, it is almost always plugged in, but the battery management and throttling bottle-necked me. I should have taken the hint when the damned thing didn't get hot enough to cook an egg. From start-up to shooting the first bad guy is all it takes to get noticeably warm