[SOLVED] !Solved Problem with resolution in Counter-Strike

oRacLeGosu

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Best answers
Ok, so I went here to tom's where the gods reside. I am really hoping someone can help, because I am stuck.
I guess it helps having experience with running lower resolution than native in a game to get my problem.
Basically I am trying to run 1024x768 in the game Counter-Strike. On my last computer with Win 7 this was not a problem. I just chose 4:3 resolution and 1024x768 in the game.
Now if i do this the game forces it self in a windowed borderless native resolution/the screen restarts it self or something. It goes black and says"display"port in a red square in the middle
like if you unplug the cable and plug it back in again. And the game crashes with no visible error.

I have found a work-around for this that makes it playable, but it is annoying. In the .exe launch options I have put in
-w 1024 -h 768 this alone just makes Counter-Strike a small square in the middle of my desktop. So I also added the command -full ..this forces the game in to fullscreen.
But something is still wrong. The game always starts in 640x480 and i have to change it back to 1024x768. Every other setting in the graphics in-game stays the way I had them.
This does eventually make the game play in the resolution I want, but this is not hwo it is supposed to be and somethin is wrong. I am not good with win 10 either.
The game also freezes some times in games, but also get's all blurred for a few seconds, like there is something with the graphics card. This happens like once a day only.
I have had this pc for a week aprox.

One thing I do know is that a safe mode in Counter-Strike if your game crashes a lot is putting the command -safe in launch options. This forces the game in 640x480. I have not done this.. but might this maby mean it
is trying to start it self the only way it can by setting it self to safe mode? I have no clue and I am no expert. I also remember the issue I tried to portray above about playing a game in a lower resolution, and then getting a square
of the game in the middle of the desktop as an issue like 15-20 years ago. I have not seen it since.

I just got a new pc and monitor. I run 1920x1080 in Windows with 240 Hz.
I have aspect ratio on in control panel so I get the black bars on the sides of the monitor as I want it when I am in game with 1024x768
I have "perform scaling in GPU(correct right?). And the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" unticked.
G-sync i set to off. By the way.. windows keeps nagging me about choosing a gsync compatible option, but I don't think this matters? I have vertical sync off in the in-game options at least and in the nvidia options.
If someone without any deep knowledge about this game you just have to take my word on that this is very important to me to be able to perform on a top level.
Even though you might think I should use the highest resolution for the best graphics or whatever

This pc has an NVIDIA RTX 2080
The new monitor is a Asus RoG Strix XG248
Windows 10
CPU i7 8700K
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

I have not overclocked anything
Both windows and NIVIDIA drivers are up to date

I am sorry if this problem is badly explained. It is a weird problem. Please excuse me. I am eternally greatful for anything that can resolve this issue.

EDIT solved! : somehow the resolution issie seem to have resolved it self. I tried to experiment with removing force commands in launch options, and suddenly it stays in 1024x768 now as it should. I have no idea why this suddenly works. No new driver update has been installed.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS