Question [SOLVED]Programmable number pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
This might be a bit off the wall but...

We use Windows 10 computers in our manufacturing process. Because of company policy all of these machines have screen locks along with the same user names and passwords. We currently have bar code stickers so the operators can use scanners to input the information and unlock the computers. Obviously security isn't a big issue on these systems.

I'm trying to make life easer (and speed up the process), buy adding programable buttons to the computers, so instead of tapping a screen, grabbing a scanner and scanning a bar code (or worse, pulling out a keyboard) the operators could just push a button.

I've found some slightly dodgy stuff on Amazon that works, but would really prefer to get quality parts from a reputable vendor. Nothing against "Ne fashion" but it seems like it would be far better to get these parts from a company that doesn't specialize in women's fashions.

This is an example of one I found that works, I'd also found a 3 button version that worked great, but was discontinued right after I got a sample.

https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-User-Defined-Button-Customized-Combination/dp/B08SQGWZN4/ref=sr_1_23?crid=1JJMGINOLHRAS&keywords=programmable+button&qid=1655721452&sprefix=progrmable+b,aps,122&sr=8-23&th=1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I recommend setting up AutoHotkey. There is some learning to get it working, but once you do that, you can basically use anything you want as long as it has the keys.
Thanks, but I'm trying to get away from keyboards as much as possible. They get dropped, stuff spilled in them, on a lot of stations there is no place to set a keyboard down so you have to hold it while typing. I'm looking to attach buttons to the front of the machine.

Pi pico ( $5-6) + "arcade" industrial button ( $2-3) = profit.
Type it into youtube to get an idea, if your company works with an electrician or something tell that person to put together as many as you need.

Bonus, the picos are usable for a lot of other stuff if the buttons get replaced by something else.

Thanks, but I'm trying to get away from keyboards as much as possible. They get dropped, stuff spilled in them, on a lot of stations there is no place to set a keyboard down so you have to hold it while typing. I'm looking to attach buttons to the front of the machine.
It doesn't specifically have to be a keyboard, it can be anything as long as it generates a common key press.

JeffDeWitt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Following up. I was able to find programmable keys on Amazon that did the job nicely. The keys are programmed using some slightly sketchy software (but we have very strong security software so I wasn't too concerned). Once programmed they are plugged into the production computers with USB cables and it works great.

This is a four button unit that works well for us.
QINIZX USB Mini 4-Key Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.