[SOLVED] (SOLVED) PSU or Motherboard fail?

Sep 23, 2019
Dear community members,

Last week I built a gaming rig which I had great fun with. Able to play games at extreme graphic easily, edit 4k videos without any issue and having a smooth experience. But after three days of having a great time with it, my PSU failed such that it even tripped my ground breaker. I switched the breaker back on only to find out that my pc didn't turn on anymore.

I put the the psu in a different pc and it won't turn on. When I try the 600 watt psu of my old pc in my new rig, it suddenly works again. So I realized that the Gigabyte 750h has probably short circuited. I just don't know what the reason was.

Whilst I'm waiting for my replaceming PSU to arrive, I'm using my old 600 watt psu. It's relatively old, since 2009, but I was able to get it working. I removed my Vega 64 and replaced it with the GTX 650ti, so that I can still have graphics that will give me picture on my monitor.

After two days, my pc suddenly does reboots on its own. I troubleshooted my pc, did stress tests, monitored the temperature of my cpu and even did a complete reinstall of Windows 10. There were zero issues. CPU Temps were at idle, max: 40 celcius and at stress 58 celcius . Device manager showed no issues and all the drivers and devices were recognized. Same in BIOS. All is good.

Whilst testing all this at the same night, my pc suddenly turned off. Motherboard lights remained on but I was unable to get it back on again. I unplugged the psu and turned off the psu switch, after a few minutes I turned it back on but after it rebooted and reached the windows login screen, it shuts off again, refusing to get back on again — with the MOBO lights on.

Has the PSU failed yet again? It would make sense, since it's an old one. However I'm still in limbo since I still don't know the reason for my previous psu to fail so tremendously. Also, I don't know if it's the motherboard that may be damaged, or another psu failure. My instincts say psu but I need to know for sure.

Questions that I'm asking myself:

1: Does my gaming rig may be damaging my PSU, despite having checked the compatibility, which gave me the go ahead- prior to building it?

2: MOBO visually looks fine, virtually all components are recognized, can it still be damaged without seeing or knowing it?

3: My PSU rests on 4 rubber 1 cm tips that were pre-installed in the case. Is that good? (I e. for earthly grounding)

4: Could it be my 1TB old internal HDD that also stems from 2009?

I need your help guys.

P.S., I don't overclock nor did I tried to do so. Also now, if my pc starts and I benchmark it, it shuts off with the mobo lights remaining on.

My built rig:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 2700 - stock Wraith RGB cooler
MOBO: GIGABYTE AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming
GPU: ATI Radeon RX 64 Vega
DDR: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz DDR 4
Case: Sharkoon TG5
SSD Boot: 250gb Kingston SSD
Backup: Samsung 1TB HDD 7500rpm

PSU: Gigabyte G750H 80plus Gold (750w)

Current modified emergency rig:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 2700 - stock Wraith RGB cooler
MOBO: GIGABYTE AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650TI
DDR: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz DDR 4
Case: Sharkoon TG5
SSD Boot: 250gb Kingston SSD
Backup: Samsung 1TB HDD 7500rpm

PSU: Tagan 600 watt

Last edited:
Solution
Vega 64 is a power hungry card. you shoulve paired it with a quality powersupply.

answer to your questions.

1. your PSU is the one who has potentially damaged your system especially your GPU.

2. not an expert on this part but usually damages come with smoke, or smell of burnt plastic, but it could be that your components have had their lifespan reduced by the incident (again not an expert but it maybe the case).

3. the rubber in your chasis under your psu is for the vibration the PSU makes while its operational.

4. no.

bottome line get a better powersupply. preferable something like

corsair TX, RMx, RMi
seasonic focus plus gold
evga supernova g2, g3

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Vega 64 is a power hungry card. you shoulve paired it with a quality powersupply.

1. your PSU is the one who has potentially damaged your system especially your GPU.

2. not an expert on this part but usually damages come with smoke, or smell of burnt plastic, but it could be that your components have had their lifespan reduced by the incident (again not an expert but it maybe the case).

3. the rubber in your chasis under your psu is for the vibration the PSU makes while its operational.

4. no.

corsair TX, RMx, RMi
seasonic focus plus gold
evga supernova g2, g3

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 23, 2019

1. you PSU is the one who has potentially damaged your system especially your GPU.

4. no.

corsair TX, RMx, RMi
seasonic focus plus gold
evga supernova g2, g3

Thanks for your response. I did actually, I paired it with the GIGABYTE G750h 80+ Gold modular PSU. 750 watts is plenty enough. I think it may be a factory defect.

I couldn't see no smoke or any visible damage after a thorough look. Also My system recognizes all the components of the mobo as well as when I look in Bios. I think if it is a mobo damage, I can't get past the splash screen. But then again, I'm not an expert. I appreciate the expert knowledge of this community.

Last edited:

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Thanks for your response. I did actually, I paired it with the GIGABYTE G750h 80+ Gold modular PSU. 750 watts is plenty enough. I think it may be a factory defect.

I couldn't see no smoke or any visible damage after a thorough look. Also My system recognizes all the components of the mobo as well as when I look in Bios. I think if it is a mobo damage, I can't get past the splash screen. But then again, I'm not an expert. I appreciate the expert knowledge of this community.

gigabyte isnt what comes to mind when it comes to PSU quality. :)

Reactions: Infinitechnique