"Solved" Raid5 recovery chalange

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Guys hopefully you will be able to save me some time...

Scenario: 4x1tb black's on ich10r, default settings raid5 with one partition.
Two drives failed simultaneously, i manege to get one back online, and i have a new 1tb black.

I had similar problem at work, but both drives was ok, in that case (PSU problem) so i deleted the raid, created a new one with same settings and i was able 2 fully restore the partition with "testdisk". lucky :)
Now in my current case i tried to do the same, but i have one drive blank. So far it didn't find what i need. i wonder, if i disconnect the blank drive and make the array degraded again, will it help? Or you guys have a better idea. I hope that i will not have to recover the data to a different drive...i have a lot of crap on that drive and data can get corrupted...
I will be able to get all or almost all the data back, but you know how long it can take with array this size :)
All the drives with tler fix btw....
OS w7x64, not that is mater...
Any advice will be appreciated...

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Dude i don't think you have read the question...if 2 drives failing on ich10 you cant rebuild no meter what you do....the only think 2 do is delete the array, and than create a new one. And with some luck recover the lost partitions or data....