[SOLVED] Solved-Random usb freezes on hub or extension

Tr3nchguns

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
So I have had this issue persist across 2 computers it seems, where if I'm doing certain tasks or have certain setups I will have random dropouts for my usb devices (mainly mouse or keyboard). Occasionally all usb devices will seem to disconnect and reconnect. It doesn't happen all the time, and it's really hard to narrow down any particular cause. Right now I have OBS open(just looping a media source, not recording or streaming or anything) and it seems the issue is occurring. If I close it it seems to go away. But this isn't just OBS that sometimes causes it, it just hasn't really been happening for a while so I haven't had a chance to write down any environments that might be causing it. I think at one point (a while ago) it was happening with VS code open.

This issue seems to only happen to my mouse and bluetooth dongle if it's plugged into either the hub on my Roccat Sova, or into the active usb extension I have(WDX SuperSpeed Extension Extender Compatible)(both powered and unpowered) I normally have a scarlet 2i2 on the usb extension and it functions normally all the time as far as I can tell.

I use a G502 Lightspeed, but when I substitute my wired G502 the issues still occur.

I'm running a Ryzen5950x with 32GB of ram on an asus b550 F-Gaming Wifi motherboard with the latest BIOS, if that matters.
Plugged in usb devices: Scarlet 2i2-motherboard
Roccat Sova- one of the two into the front USB(other unplugged)
G502 Lightspeed Dongle- motherboard
Valve index- motherboard
Bluetooth dongle- front usb

Nothing seems to appear in the event viewer when the keyboard locks up, and when all usb devices dropped out shortly before writing this post.

Edit: Updated some drivers and restarted, and at the login screen the keyboard seemed to freeze again sending a key a bunch of times into the password field, but nothing since then.

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, I think it's fixed now. It was a bios update. Both armoury crate and ez update said my bios was up to date, but after manually checking I was VERY behind, and one of the updates was a usb connectivity fix.(I was on 1202, the latest being 2423)

Tr3nchguns

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
Okay, I think it's fixed now. It was a bios update. Both armoury crate and ez update said my bios was up to date, but after manually checking I was VERY behind, and one of the updates was a usb connectivity fix.(I was on 1202, the latest being 2423)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS