[SOLVED] [Solved] Ryzen 5 3600x - Idle at 3593Mhz is normal?

Apr 6, 2020
Hi guys,

Recently put together a gaming desktop.

Components:
  • Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
  • Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 2x8 Ghz 3200 OC
  • Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
  • PS: Gigabyte B700H
I'm reading a CPU clock speed of 3600Mhz - on average. Using Gigabyte SIV, Easytune and HWMonitor64 all giving the same values.

Clock speeds here:

Currently I'm overclocking the memory to get those 3200mhz: BIOS with XMP profile 1, and manual setting DRAM voltage to 1.35v and Termination to 0.675.
Leaving the rest on Auto.

Are this clock speeds normal? Shouldn't they be around 3800Mhz?

Thanks

EDIT (update):
Just discovered the "problem". In the power plan I had the minimum processor state at 85%. Changing to 100% now idles at 3767Mhz:
5BDCvV0.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

Thanks
Base clock speed is 3800 that means when you run the processor at extremely heavy loads it will lower clocks as it heats up but will go no lower than about 3800 if using at least the stock cooler and your case is well enough ventilated. And everthing is configured 'stock'.

But when fully idle, it lowers clocks even further to conserve power. It even shuts individual cores off almost completely with clocks at 0, called C6 deep sleep, but you can't see that as asking it's clock speed will wake it up! HWInfo can infer it, though, and shows Core Residency in C0, C1 and C6 states as a percent of time.

To make sure the CPU is working properly download and...

Thanks
Base clock speed is 3800 that means when you run the processor at extremely heavy loads it will lower clocks as it heats up but will go no lower than about 3800 if using at least the stock cooler and your case is well enough ventilated. And everthing is configured 'stock'.

But when fully idle, it lowers clocks even further to conserve power. It even shuts individual cores off almost completely with clocks at 0, called C6 deep sleep, but you can't see that as asking it's clock speed will wake it up! HWInfo can infer it, though, and shows Core Residency in C0, C1 and C6 states as a percent of time.

To make sure the CPU is working properly download and install AMD Chipset drivers and set the following in BIOS:
  • AMD Cool n Quiet to ENABLED
  • Advanced C States to ENABLED
  • CPPC to ENABLED
  • CPPC Preferred Cores to ENABLED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sub Oathshot
Solution
Apr 6, 2020

To make sure the CPU is working properly download and install AMD Chipset drivers and set the following in BIOS:
  • AMD Cool n Quiet to ENABLED
  • Advanced C States to ENABLED
  • CPPC to ENABLED
  • CPPC Preferred Cores to ENABLED.

Thanks for the reply. I have the AMD Chipset drivers from gigabyte, however I'm going to download the latest from the AMD site and make sure these settings are enabled at BIOS.

EDIT (update):
Just discovered the "problem". In the power plan I had the minimum processor state at 85%. Changing to 100% now idles at 3767Mhz:
5BDCvV0.jpg

Last edited: