Question [Solved] ryzen 5950x CPU speed drops to 1.7 ghz after a minute of being on

Dec 20, 2021
Hello!

I purchase da Ryzen 5950x and has been running at normal speeds for a week now (3.4 ghz boosting to 4.9ghz). Today I walked away from my PC and came back a few hours later and noticed the PC was off, upon turning the PC back on I noticed the CPU speed was running at 1.7ghz.
Immediately I assumed it overheated somehow and fried the chip (which maybe is what happened, it does hit 80c occasionally, but I read it's stable up to 90..)

I then restarted the PC and checked BIOS and everything is on default settings, so I exited BIOS and continued turning the PC back on and the CPU speed ran at 4.5 ghz for about 1-2 minutes before slowing down to 1.7ghz.
So I ran prime 95 on smallest FFT's to see if it would boost back to normal speeds but it will only go up to 3ghz.

Am I screwed? :)

edit
After reading a few post I checked my power savings mode and currently I am in "Power Saver [Active]" and when I try to change to "AMD Ryzen Balanced" the apply button stays greyed out and clicking ok then re-opening the window shows its reverted back to "Power Saver [Active]".
So I tried changing back to "AMD Ryzen Balanced" and changing one of the settings then reverting back so the Apply button would become active and I then clicked apply closed and reopened the window to see it reverted back to "Power Saver [Active]" again.

Seems like this has to do with the issue because on the state its stuck in if I change the power minimum state from 5% to 90% then CPU speed goes up to 2.9ghz

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021
Believe I fixed it. I had to

a. Open Control Panel.

b. Select “Troubleshooting” and hit enter.

c. Select “System and Security”.

d. Select “Power” option.

e. change from save to balanced

If someone could give an idea to WHY this happened tho, would be nice

Mar 20, 2022
Thanks for your post. The same thing just happened to me. I have never, ever changed my power settings to "power saver" but there it was selected. Is this a new trick Windows does by itself? Beyond annoying.

TRENDING THREADS