[SOLVED] [solved] Ryzen 7 3800x System doesn't start anymore after own shutdown

Oct 22, 2019
Hi everyone, I need your help on my new setup.

Last week i bought a new system with following components:

newly bought:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
AsRock X570m Pro4
450 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11
1TB AORUS M2 SSD
Corsair vengeance LPX 32GB Kit (2 different kits, later more on that)

recycled: (from my current PC and both still fully functional in this old system)
AMD Radeon RX 570
Samsung SSD 265 GB (which has my win 10 on it)

I assembled everything (mainboard, cpu, 1. ram kit, gpu both SSDs) and started the PC.
Win 10 booted, did some installations and worked afterwards without any problems.

I used the system as normal for a few hours to see if there are some troubles, I also did 2 or 3 restarts to test if it is restarting or if windows wants to install something more.

All of this worked fine, so i started cloning my disk with Macrium refelct from my Samsung SSD to the AORUS SSD.
It started and did at least 50% of the disk, but than the system suddenly switched off. I mean no shutdown or anything, it was just off.

Now I can't even boot into the BIOS. The mainboard has some red POST LEDs. After I switch the system on, the LEDs for CPU and RAM are switched on and switched off after ~3-5 secs again. But after this the boot LED is switched on and stays on.

So I tried the Samsung SSD and the GPU in the old PC and they still worked.
Then I looked at the RAM and found out I bought an Intel specific kit, so I ordered again a Ryzen specific one. But I have still the same behaviour.

Than I tried to minimize the system so it is only mainboard, cpu, one ram and gpu and no SSD.
Even with this I cannot get into the bios.

I also tried:
  • reset CMOS -> no change
  • remove CMOS battery and wait some time -> no change
  • start without ram -> system does restarts every 30 secs as it cannot start without ram
  • remove cpu cooler, remove and refit cpu -> no change
the system still goes into the boot POST led.

Any ideas what I could try next?
I could test another psu in case the new one is defect but beside that I'm currently at the end of any ideas.

Regards,
flattervieh

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Both of you, thank you for your comments.
But than, why was is possible at the beginning to use the system for a few hours?
Why should the psu have enough power at first and than not?
And why should a complete reinstall of win be needed as it ran for those few hours without problems?

Both of you, thank you for your comments.
But than, why was is possible at the beginning to use the system for a few hours?
Why should the psu have enough power at first and than not?
And why should a complete reinstall of win be needed as it ran for those few hours without problems?
Some things are unknown. First thing to do is a full reinstall of Windows and all necessary drivers. This will eliminate any possibility of a driver conflict causing problems.

Oct 22, 2019
Some things are unknown. First thing to do is a full reinstall of Windows and all necessary drivers. This will eliminate any possibility of a driver conflict causing problems.

Ah you mean on the new system?
Well, I can't even start into the bios, that's my first problem. Therefore windows is not the root cause, at least not yet.

Oct 22, 2019
That's interesting with the PSU.
My current running system is:
  • Intel i7-920
  • Asus rampage II gene
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 570
  • the above mentioned Samsung SSD
and all powered by an Enermax 425W PSU.

And that with the fact that the intel cpu draw up to 130W compared to the 105W from the Ryzen.

Oct 22, 2019
A small update:
Today I received a new PSU with 650W.
The psu is tested in a funtional pc but the ryzen system is still not working.
I received as well another ram-kit but no mouting option of these components worked.
Therefore I assume either the cpu or the mainboard is the problem.
I'll call the shop tomorrow to get a replacement or send them back.

That's interesting with the PSU.
My current running system is:
  • Intel i7-920
  • Asus rampage II gene
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 570
  • the above mentioned Samsung SSD
and all powered by an Enermax 425W PSU.

And that with the fact that the intel cpu draw up to 130W compared to the 105W from the Ryzen.
And when that PSU fails and takes a few components with it, that's when a higher quality PSU pays for itself. The designer of that card recommends a 450w PSU as a minimum.

Hi everyone, I need your help on my new setup.

Last week i bought a new system with following components:

newly bought:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
AsRock X570m Pro4
450 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11
1TB AORUS M2 SSD
Corsair vengeance LPX 32GB Kit (2 different kits, later more on that)

recycled: (from my current PC and both still fully functional in this old system)
AMD Radeon RX 570
Samsung SSD 265 GB (which has my win 10 on it)

I assembled everything (mainboard, cpu, 1. ram kit, gpu both SSDs) and started the PC.
Win 10 booted, did some installations and worked afterwards without any problems.

I used the system as normal for a few hours to see if there are some troubles, I also did 2 or 3 restarts to test if it is restarting or if windows wants to install something more.

All of this worked fine, so i started cloning my disk with Macrium refelct from my Samsung SSD to the AORUS SSD.
It started and did at least 50% of the disk, but than the system suddenly switched off. I mean no shutdown or anything, it was just off.

Now I can't even boot into the BIOS. The mainboard has some red POST LEDs. After I switch the system on, the LEDs for CPU and RAM are switched on and switched off after ~3-5 secs again. But after this the boot LED is switched on and stays on.

So I tried the Samsung SSD and the GPU in the old PC and they still worked.
Then I looked at the RAM and found out I bought an Intel specific kit, so I ordered again a Ryzen specific one. But I have still the same behaviour.

Than I tried to minimize the system so it is only mainboard, cpu, one ram and gpu and no SSD.
Even with this I cannot get into the bios.

I also tried:
  • reset CMOS -> no change
  • remove CMOS battery and wait some time -> no change
  • start without ram -> system does restarts every 30 secs as it cannot start without ram
  • remove cpu cooler, remove and refit cpu -> no change
the system still goes into the boot POST led.

Any ideas what I could try next?
I could test another psu in case the new one is defect but beside that I'm currently at the end of any ideas.

Regards,
flattervieh

Im sure everyone has already said, but its a psu issue.

450w is simply not enough for the demand of your pc.

EDIT: The reason it worked for awhile and not now is at the start your pc was not under any stress. Once you started making a copy of your drives or whatever, you put the pc under more stress causing more power draw. PC parts picker would suggest a minimum of 550w for your rig.

Oct 22, 2019
There is an update:
I sent mainboard and cou back to the vendor to check it.
They were not able to find a foult in the mainboard, so I got it back.
For the CPU i got a new replacement part.

I assembled everything and it is now working.

Unfortunately i tried to clone my windows (with mcrium) from the SSD to the NVMe SSD.
The clone itself worked fine, but now I'm not able to boot from the NVMe.

I get a blue message at boot with the comment that there is an error and i have to repair windows which does not work.

Edit: I found out it is probably based on the fact that the former system was still MBR based and i need to transform it into GPT.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Problem solved.
Thanks to the script ct'wimage from a german pc newspaper. This script uses windows tools to create an image which is somehow implemented into a windows 10 setup. :)

TRENDING THREADS