[SOLVED] SSD, GPU and MOBO compatibility/functionality question

pixelmurderer92

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello,

My SSD recently died and I needed some information regarding the functionality between my Motherboard, GPU, SSD, etc. before I replace it. This was the only forum I found that seemed reliable. Hoping it's still in use.

I've been using a computer with the following specs:

MOBO: MSI z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7-4790K @4.0GHz 8M
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4 GB CL 8-8-8-24
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
HDD: WD Black 1TB (64 MB)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB M.2 2280 PCIe 2.0 x2

And I've been told that my motherboard only has 16 PCIe lanes, and using a M.2 SSD will use up some of these lanes, causing my GPU to work at x8 instead of x16 PCIe lanes. Someone else said it'll do the same to my HDD because it's a SATA III SSD. I don't really understand these things, I'm new to building computers, and I mainly use my computer for basic gaming. They told me it'll drop my framerate a little by decreasing my GPU's performance, and it's already low in many games, can't afford to lose any! Even if it's 2-3 frames a second.

To clarify, my questions are:
1. How many PCIe lanes does my motherboard have? 16? And will they be used up by a M.2 SSD, causing my GPU to use x8 instead of x16?
2. How about the HDD? Will the same happen to it? Is it going to make my SATA III hdd slower?
3. Should I get a Samsung 860 EVO that is 2.5" and not M.2 2280 to avoid either of the above? And if there's a speed difference between the two (I've been told M.2>2.5"), how big is it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

P.S. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5/Specification This is the motherboard I have, but I don't understand much about the functionality of PCIe. It says 3 PCIe 3.0 x16 ports I think? And the M.2 Port is PCIe 2.0 x2? I'm lost. :/

Solution
Z97 motherboard has 16 Graphics pcie 3.0 lanes. It has an additional 8 pcie 2.0 lanes. These 2.0 lanes are for the other pcie slots on the board. If you aren't using those then you are fine. The graphics 3.0 and the other 2.0 are seperate channels. The 3.0 communicates with the CPU directly while the 2.0 go,through the chipset.

Your board supports the m.2 at x2 pcie 2.0 5gbps each with a total speed of 10gbps as opposed to 6gbps for SATA.

The SATA lanes are separate and will not be affected on this board by adding a m.2 drive.
Z97 motherboard has 16 Graphics pcie 3.0 lanes. It has an additional 8 pcie 2.0 lanes. These 2.0 lanes are for the other pcie slots on the board. If you aren't using those then you are fine. The graphics 3.0 and the other 2.0 are seperate channels. The 3.0 communicates with the CPU directly while the 2.0 go,through the chipset.

Your board supports the m.2 at x2 pcie 2.0 5gbps each with a total speed of 10gbps as opposed to 6gbps for SATA.

The SATA lanes are separate and will not be affected on this board by adding a m.2 drive.

Solution
Samsung 860 Evo M.2 is sata device. It will not use pcie lanes.

Didn't understand this. Sata devices do not influence one another.

Samsung 860 EVO already is sata device. M.2 and 2.5" are just form factors.

pixelmurderer92

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
Thank you both for the great answers! Relieving information/answers, that's all I needed to know. Clicking "Pick as the solution" seems to just redirect me to my main post for some reason, I'm unable to pick either of your answers as a solution for some reason. Hope that's not too bad. ._. I'll try again soon.

P.S. Meant to ask about the form factor, 2.5" vs 2280 (22x80 or whatever), didn't notice the mistake, apologies! Ty for pointing out. Edited it.

EDIT: Trying to "Vote Up" takes me to some 404 not found page. I give up. Lol