Question ***SOLVED*** SSD not seen via USB / Sata Cable or 2.5" enclosure

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
I want to clone my hard drive to a bigger one, I've bought a new Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD and thought I could just plug it into a USB / Sata cable and the computer would see it the same as an external drive and I could clone to it but nothing happens when I attach it.

This cable has sucesfully been used before with a different drive (which is no longer available to test) although it was a very tech savvy friend that attached it and I don't know if he did something to mount it.

I also have a 2.5" SSD USB enclosure and tried it with that and again nothing, and have also tried 2 other older 2.5" drives that I know work and apart from being able to feel mechanical movement in one when attaching ...... nothing.

Do I need a powered enclosure or something and is the 5v provided by a USB port not enough or do I need to do something like mount it and if so how?

Having initially tried it on a laptop I then tried it on a PC in case that made any difference, both are running Windows 10 ...... Any help much appreciated.

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
which adapter cable are you using exactly? you can take a picture and upload to imgur.com or similar and post the link of it

is it USB3.0 or USB2.0 ?
does the cable have a power connector or two USB plugs?

can you see the external drive in the disk management tool of windows?
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

Thank you for that ... I have managed to find the answer and a new drive needs initializing so have now managed to do it.