==SOLVED Thx Guys==PC Crashed now wont boot, fans/led's will turn on..

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
==SOLVED Thx Guys==

Lots and lots of work here and on a few otehr foums thank you all for your help. The last Issue I was dealing with was After finally getting it to boot into BIOS (rebuilt on cardboard) it was crashing 15-45secs into start. This was an overheating problem, i just watched the temp from BIOS and soon as it hit 51+ it crashed, did this a few times 50c 51c 72c I took off the HSF and reapplyed thermal paste and screwed teh HSF down, I also droped a lil 2inch fan nexto the cpu. Works great, temp at boot is still a bit high but once computer gets to desktop it cools down odly enough

==SOLVED Thx Guys==

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

1: Yes read mobo manual
2: Yes CPU power is correct ( fans wouldn't turn on if CPU wasn't seated correct or didnt have power)
3:Yes, nothing wrong there
4: Videos card is in correctly
5: Yep both are up and fine on Vcard
6: Tryed swapping ram out and diff slots, no errors there
7: Yep fully in
8: No, no plastic guard just the metal latch/case thing
9: No its a clean cooler application
10: Using a Big Typhoon for cpu fan, and asus's mobo fanless built in so no not plugged in
11: Cooler is clean and seated correctly
12: No screws/nuts flying around :p
13: No static
14: No sys speaker that i can tell =-(
15: Yep case is plugged in correct
16: PSU is fine
17: Yep supported CPU
18: Yes reset CMOS, did nothing
19: Na just the PCI-E video card

------------------------------------------------
SYSTEM

MOBO: ASUS P5WD2-E
VCard: Radeon HD 3870
SCard: SBlaster Audiy-2
RAM: Corsair XMS2 1gb (x2)
HD: Maxtor 100gb
CPU: PentD 3.0mhz duel core
PSU: 500w Ultra XC
-------------------------------------------------

I've unplugged and reset everything on mobo, checked for dust, screws/blots or anything in the way.

Heres what happened: Was playing a game PC hard crashed, rebooted, updates isntalled, updates needed a restart so it began shutting down, when shutting down it crashed.

It was late so i just unplugged the PSU and went to sleep, got up this morning tried to boot and the Fans come on, the LED on mobo comes on bu the monitor doesn't come on, and the HD doesn't sound like its spinning.

Monitor light just blinks, doesn't give the VideoCard not plugged in error, or the error when its not plugged into a pc just blank like in a sleep mode.

Tried monitor on another PC works fine, tried diff HD and still wont boot, reconnected all cords, reconnected the videocard, hd, cpu, ram.....

Read a bunch of posts here and online, most look like its systems booting up first time ever, this was a working system last night....

Any ideas??????

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Hmm I don't think i could be the PSU, as it powers the mobo( green LED lights up) , and all the fans get power.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
A bad PSU will still get you power. I had something similar happen a while back. It didn't crash, but just wouldn't power on after I moved it. had the same type problem you have. Lights come on, fans spin up, but not much more. I assumed a short or something, but nada. Replaced mobo and cpu, tried a different HDD, etc. Only thing I couldn't test was the PSU because I didn't have a spare. Returned the new mobo/cpu, upgraded that, got a new PSU and vid card. Worked like a champ

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

You might be onto something..

took out everything but 1 ram chip, video card, cpu, and cpu fan and it kinda booted

I was testing the RAM I have 2 chips both 1gb Corsairs, MOBO has 4 ram slots

Chip-A

Slot1: Wont boot
Slot2: will boot but a few secs in mouse loses power, and keyboard lights(for like numlock) wont stay on when presses just flash once

the only other PSU i have is an old 300w =-(, i dont think it would run this system

also if its PSU whats up with the ram, and if not PSU whats up with mouse/keyboard lol

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Well, hopefully not, but if your PSU did tank, it could have taken other parts with it. When you see other posters on here advising not to skimp on a PSU, they ain't lyin'.

Unless that 300W PSU had a power connector for your vid card, it's not gonna be much help. Underpowered is better than bad though, at least for troubleshooting. Might try it and see if it sounds like your HDD is spinning up, if it wasn't previously.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

my 500w psu : http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=37&pPath=157&productID=158

It wont mess with my mobo using a 300w PSU ?
mobo asks for 400w+
videocard asks for 450w+

I just tryed to boot with CPU, CPU Fan, 1Stick Ram... no HD sound card video card etc... and it kept the laser mouse light up.

Could i use the 300W PSU for like: HD, Fans, and teh 500w for MOBO/CPU/Videocard???

That really doesn't mean that much. In addition to the large main section of the PSU that provides all the operating power, a computer power supply has a small (10 to 15 watts), independent section called the standby power supply. That is what powers the motherboard LED even when the PSU is turned off.

Fans running means the PSU can provide 12 volts at some minimum power level.

And even hen, you can have all the power outputs present but if you do not have the "PowerOK" signal from the PSU to the motherboard (main power connector, grey wire), your CPU will not come out of hardware reset.

I also suspect that your PSU has died. You should replace it with a good brand.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
By died what does that mean really, like has it dropped down in wattage to like 400 or something, or just not stable?

Is there anyway i power the videocard/fans/hd from a 300w and the mobo/cpu from the 500w, or is the 500w just nor stable?

Also would i be OK testing the mobo/cpu/videocard and 1 ram stick with my 300w cps to see if i can get into bios???

With a 20-pin mobo connector, that is one ancient PSU, and quite possibly one of the models that gave Ultra a bad name some years ago. Who knows what voltages it is now providing, or how bizarre (and destructive) the waveforms may be. If the mobo is so old that it only has a 20-pin connector also, it is quite possible that capacitor aging has done it in. A Google search on "Failed capacitors" will be enlightening. Either the mobo or the PSU could have experienced this, the latter quite possibly taking the former with it into Death.

If it IS a power problem, continued testing using the bad PSU may damage or destroy anything else. For example, if a filter capacitor failed, the PSU could be passing a hideous waveform, and/or a nasty spike each time it is switched on.
You can get an Antec Earthwatts 380 for $45.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Ok now this is odd mobo has 4 ram slots, 2x black/yellow, the CPU is closest to #1, then i try the RAMchips just one at a time slots 1,2,4 do nothing, but when i put either ram chip in slot 3 it makes it so the HD spinns when the tower gets power, with ram in! HD will also spinn s there is no ram in at all, but will NOT spin if theres a ram chip in 1-2-4... IDK if this means anything but...

4 3 2 1
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)
(B) (Y) (B) (Y)

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Possibly your mobo died with the PSU. It's really tough to tell without a good PSU and/or mobo to test it.

Not sure that PSU you tested with has enough power. I would still at least expect to get post error beeps with no RAM. Are you sure that speaker works?

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
UGHHH just got this system on Sat =-(

any other tests i can do, sadly the only other rig i have atm is a Dell4550 with 250w PSu... soo idk how much testing i can do lol

That particular Xclio is an old, inefficient design. Note the little red voltage switch. I would not buy one.
The 3870 is sufficiently old that buying another one for Crossfire doesn't make sense, not when you can get a 4850 for around $100. Even that may not make sense, since I believe your CPU will bottleneck it.
The symptoms you describe are not promising. It sounds more and more as though enough other parts have been damaged (e.g. your mobo) that a completely new build is in order. Post a budget, and what you need/want the PC to be able to do [well], and I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Bought it used from a friend. He was just recently using the PSU before an upgrade himself assures me it was working fine..

Hell everything WAS working fine last night...

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
It's jsut crazy that it would still power the LEd's fans, HD etc... but somehow not provide enough for it to boot up... =-(

Ugh still trying to find a way to be 100% positive before i got buy a new part then find out it was my mobo or ram or something lol

You should replace that aging, low-quality PSU anyway, but I suspect you will need to replace other parts as well, that it took with it into the Abyss. This is not to say your friend ripped you off; it may well have been working fine, but just gave out. Maybe his household AC power measures 123V, and yours is only 110V, and the little bit of extra work pushed it over the edge. There's really no way to tell; at this point however there is no rational need to ever try to turn it on again. You could always see if Oklahoma Wolf at www.jonnyguru.com is willing to do a post-mortem on it, just for grins.